Windows 7 Just bought computer (2nd hand) - several problems. (1st post)

JackOats

Hi All - This is my 1st post on this Forum. Apologies if I get things wrong.

I just bought this computer from a friend who has emigrated. My previous one suffered 'electrical strike' to the MB.

So I am getting used to a load of new stuff. (Windows 7, 64 bit)

These problems are giving me a lot of grief & I would be most grateful if anyone could advise on how to fix them:

(1) The 'Remember Password' keeps turning off - I have to re-tick the boxes on bank accounts etc every time I start a new session.

(2) 'Windows Sounds' keep turning on - I have to cancel them for each new session.

(3) My Desktop Shortcuts keep disappearing. I replace the vanished ones & when I boot up the next time - another bunch have disappeared!

Maybe all this stuff is related. Anyway, I'd be really grateful for any help. Many thanks in advance.

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 1/Hewlett-Packard SG3-120UK Desktop/FOXCONN 2AAF 1.00. 200 mH. American Megatrends (BIOS)/AMD Athlon II X 2 215 2.75gH.Multi-core (2 total) Not hyper-threaded/SAMSUNG HD204UI USB Device (Hard drive) (2000.40 GB) - Drive 1/WDC WD6400AAKS-65Z7BO (Hard drive) (640.13 GB) - drive 0, s/n
WD-WCASYD690361, rev 01.02B01, SMART Status: Healthy/1792 MB Usable Installed Memory

Is this a clean install of Windows 7 or are is the previous user still listed?

Windows 7 x64 is supposed to have a 2 GB memory minium, do you believe your system meets that?

Where is the Password not being remembered? I have never been able to get IE to remember mine.

Overall, it sounds like your user settings are not being saved. Possibly because of an User Profile situation, but I do not know.

Is this what you have...

Compaq SG3-100 Desktop PC series -  Compaq SG3-120UK Product Specifications - c02568762 - HP Business Support Center

Here is the driver support page for it....

Compaq SG3-100 Desktop PC series -  Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Does it still have the factory hidden partition, usually labeled as D, that has the OS on it. If so I would just use that to reformat the PC and set it up as if you bought it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...d=4169543&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c01867418

Hi Saltgrass - Thanks for the message.

Is this a clean install of Windows 7 or are is the previous user still listed?

Well, my friend wiped all her stuff off the HD. Then my IT guy connected up my HD from my previous computer (in an external Icybox) and that now is running W7 - changed over from Vista. So in 'My Computer' I can see both drives listed but I only use the W7 one.

Windows 7 x64 is supposed to have a 2 GB memory minium, do you believe your system meets that?
Yes. Thats what the specs say.

Where is the Password not being remembered? I have never been able to get IE to remember mine.
It's all the username boxes - like at the top of this forum (Remember my Username) & when signing into my online banking.

Last edited:
Hi Bassfisher6522 - Thanks for the message.

Yes to the first two - not sure about the business support bit though.

Does it still have the factory hidden partition, usually labeled as D, that has the OS on it. If so I would just use that to reformat the PC and set it up as if you bought it.

It has a D partition listed in 'Computer' entitled FACTORY_IMAGE (D:)

Last edited:
Back