Windows 7 Just installed 7 after vista and every so often system goes to sleep

supersimmo123

hi, i just installed 7 and im very impressed however my laptop randomly turns off!!! its getting frustrating! the battery icon says i need to change my battery but i only did this 6 weeks ago and worked fine on vista if any1 has any ideas how to fix this i would be grateful thanks!!

I have this same issue. Battery was fine with Vista. then just after installing W7 the battery started to not charge.
Any ideas ?

tried that i even turned off the battery icon as i was told this might but work but it does not! is there not a patch as i see alot of people have come across this and there is still no solution!?

Yes I just checked and there is no settings that would affect the battery not charging. The battery does not hold or show any charge. I would hate to buy another battery to have this happen again. I beleave this battery was killed by W7 or is still good and there is something wrong with W7.

Yes I just checked and there is no settings that would affect the battery not charging. The battery does not hold or show any charge. I would hate to buy another battery to have this happen again. I beleave this battery was killed by W7 or is still good and there is something wrong with W7.

I don't think it's possible for software of any kind to kill a battery. You can rule out battery problems IF your laptop goes to sleep when plugged into the charger. You can even remove the battery and compute.

This may be a long shot.. but there are network settings that automatically put a computer to sleep when a connection is dropped. Maybe something in the Wlan autoconfig is kicking in and causing a connection drop because it tries to find a better connection ever 60 seconds..... even if you aren't using a wireless connection.

I know this sounds pretty wild.. but I would put a book on my spacebar to make the computer think I was working and see if it still goes to sleep. If it doesn't go to sleep, then you know it's shutting down because it thinks Elvis has left the building.

I don't think it's possible for software of any kind to kill a battery. You can rule out battery problems IF your laptop goes to sleep when plugged into the charger. You can even remove the battery and compute.

This may be a long shot.. but there are network settings that automatically put a computer to sleep when a connection is dropped. Maybe something in the Wlan autoconfig is kicking in and causing a connection drop because it tries to find a better connection ever 60 seconds..... even if you aren't using a wireless connection.

I know this sounds pretty wild.. but I would put a book on my spacebar to make the computer think I was working and see if it still goes to sleep. If it doesn't go to sleep, then you know it's shutting down because it thinks Elvis has left the building.

My problem is not going to sleep, but the battery not charging anymore since installing W7

Mine does not power off when pulling the battery.

Wow... I would like to have a laptop that keeps running without a battery. Where did you buy it? I'm joking because you must be plugged into the charger.

My question is... Does the PROBLEM show up when you are not running on battery power?

yeh i think it might be overheating however it never did it on vista which makes me wonder!!!!

Overheating is always an very likely problem... but I would suspect it's the hard drive heating from all the indexing grinding it does. Did you turn off indexing?

You may want to skimm through my blogs and turn off a lot of unnecessary stuff.

Win 7 uses 17% LESS energy than vista or Xp.... a typical home computer will use $70 less electricity per year per computer that is upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista or XP.... corporation with 7,000 computers can cut their energy bill by a half million dollars a year by upgrading to windows 7.

Back