Windows 7 Keeping ONE Display Active

CraigJConrad

I have an unusual question. I run a Windows 2008R2 "server" system on dual-display. The secondary monitor is devoted to an application ("Blue Iris") that displays security cameras on it. The main monitor is on a KVM, so that the monitor is switched to my laptop and/or my regular desktop systems.

I am not switched to the "server" very often, as it isn't my work system, but serves media, my home security systems, my email, web, etc, etc. So, it eventually locks the displays (awaiting password to re-activate). This, of course, means that the secondary monitor goes blank and I can no longer see the security cameras.

As I want to continue to see the cameras even after the server hits its "lock" state, I only know of two options: (1) remove the timeout on the server so that it never goes to the lock state; (2) keep switching to the server to press a key to keep it alive. Neither is attractive nor practical.

Is there a way to keep the secondary monitor active even when the server "locks"? I don't need to be able to use mouse or keyboard until unlocking it, but I want to continue to see the monitor's contents.

Thanks!!!

I don't see the issue with keeping the monitor on all the time where it never goes into your lock state. Is there a particular reason that you don't want it to do that.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you mean setting the server to never lock at all? Yes, that would work for keeping the secondary screen active, but it would leave my server more vulnerable (anyone walking into my office would have full control over my network and data). I may have to consider that, I guess, but I'd prefer not to.

Most of the small business over here, that I know of have what's called a server closet. A room dedicated to the servers and hardware that is locked with a limited amount of access to the room.

Yes, but this is my home office with three systems on a KVM Switch ... the server, my regular desktop and my laptop (on docking station) are all physically under/on/above my desk. I am away from home often and just don't want to have the exposure to the server. Thanks for the input, though. While I am working on my desktop or laptop (using the main monitor via the KVM), I still want to see the security cameras (which are shown on the server's secondary display).

Back
Top Bottom