Windows 7 kernel_data_inpage_error BSOD at random

Jennifer1

I'm continually getting the kernel_data_inpage_error BSOD at quite random times - during skype calls, bringing computer out of sleep mode, playing games - and I can no longer say it was a one-off kind of thing, but I'm not sure how to fix it, and found this forum hoping for some help.

I ran the tools requested and both the diagnostic tool and cpu-z reports are included in the zip file, though I was unable to run RAMMon (even as administrator) and was given the message "Unable to load DirectIo driver. Unexpected error."

If it helps at all, this laptop is about a year and a half old. The hard drive and wireless card were replaced about six months ago due to defects. Also, the last time or two I've started up the laptop, I've gotten a warning about a fan not working (it still seems like it is upon testing however), but before I spend money on replacing it I want to make sure the rest of the laptop is not a lost cause.

Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of Windows 7 as I bought it preinstalled with the laptop, so if the OS needs a clean reinstall I would appreciate a warning. :)

Thank you for any info you can provide me with.

Attachments

• W7F_20-04-2014.zip
    2 MB · Views: 305
The dates on your dump files seem a little strange, the most recent I see is 3/3/2014.

In that particular case it appears it may be related to your wireless chipset.

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_bcmwl664_IMAGE_pci.sys

Is it possible you can look in device manager and let me know which wireless adapter you're using, I can then direct you to Broadcom's page to obtain the latest driver.

The dates on your dump files seem a little strange, the most recent I see is 3/3/2014.

In that particular case it appears it may be related to your wireless chipset.

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_bcmwl664_IMAGE_pci.sys

Is it possible you can look in device manager and let me know which wireless adapter you're using, I can then direct you to Broadcom's page to obtain the latest driver.

That's bizarre, it's happened in the past day or two. Hmm, not sure what happened there...

Device manager says "Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n/". Thank you for helping me by the way!

Well if that was replaced I doubt that is the issue then, unless Windows Update recently updated one of your hardware drivers for you...

I'm not sure why your dump files are so old if it's bluescreened recently. If you look in your Windows\Minidump folder do you see any that are more recent?

Also, what type of laptop is this?

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8005c20a10, fffff80000b9c518, fffffa800524dbd0}

Probably caused by : pci.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
most of the dump files sent were of the above type which is blaming part of the windows system (plug and play) which could mean you have some corruption. One dump file was a bluetooth/network driver from Broadcom. Laptop drivers mainly come from the laptop manufacturer and I'm pretty sure this is your system here:
HP Pavilion dv6-6104ca Entertainment Notebook PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5141393#N690
Update your drivers from the above webpage please.

dtscsibus.sys Mon Oct 29 09:28:48 2012: DAEMON Tools Virtual SCSI BusDriver can be a likely BSOD cause in Windows systems please uninstall to test.

To check that Windows itself isn't corrupted please find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

As Josephur mentioned your last dump file was dated March 3rd of this year and the others were all pre 2014 are you sure the crash the other day was a bsod? Anyway I think perhaps the point is moot and see if those changes make any difference.

I installed all of the drivers that seemed relevant (ex. nothing under Network was for my wireless card so didn't get anything there). I've removed DAEMON Tools also & I checked for corrupted files with command prompt - apparently there were corruptions and it fixed them. I guess I'll post back in a few days to confirm whether or not there have been any crashes?

I also think I may have found the problem with the dump files - it seems the info was going to the "MEMORY.dmp" file instead after checking the system recovery settings. I switched it back to the Minidump folder though I wasn't sure about whether or not it should be "kernel memory dump" or "small memory dump (256kb)". It's currently set to small memory dump.

Next time if it BSODs post the latest DMP file :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WindowsForum mobile app

I was hoping I wouldn't have to post with the same issue again, unfortunately my laptop's crashed twice now just today, still with the same error message, and the crash logs are still not saving to the minidump folder even though I have them set to save there. Could they be hidden for some reason?

Hi,
follow these instructions to set your dump file settings. If no dump file is still not produced then it could be that your not having an actual bsod.

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.

Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
Thanks to Randy for the above.

Alright, I went over all of my settings and made sure they were set to the above, and as it crashed again I realized the issue - no matter how long I wait, it never seems to progress past "initializing disk for crash dump".

There can be a number of reasons for a dump file not to be created. Having no pagefile is a likely culprit as is problems with the disk drive.
Open up the same panel as you did for configuring dump files but instead of clicking on Start up and recovery, click on Performance which is the top button. Now look for advanced along the top of the revealed panel click that and you'll see your virtual memory amount below. If nothing is set click change and change the pagefile size to system managed.
Also just check your hardrive is ok by running a chkdsk. This guide will show you how:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

I ran another chkdsk and I don't think it found any errors. Pagefile size was checked off as "automatically manage" and "system managed" was greyed out which seemed a bit odd so I unchecked "automatically manage" so I could go in and change the settings for C:. So now C: is set to system managed. The pagefile size seems to be set to 5610MB.

Sounds good. :encouragement: So hopefully it won't be too long before we can have a look at a dump file... Fingers crossed.. :)

It seems that it's still getting stuck at the initializing disk stage when it's crashing. Is there any way there could be a hard drive error that chkdsk isn't finding?

Hmm.. well Windows itself could be corrupted. Did you complete the system file check asked about above? If not try running one now:

To check that Windows itself isn't corrupted please find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow

Hmm.. well Windows itself could be corrupted. Did you complete the system file check asked about above? If not try running one now:

sfc /scannow

That scan also did not find any errors; I ran it twice to make sure.

Hmmm... well, I think there was another post here about checking device manager and I found something called "Teredo tunneling pseudo-interface" that has an exclamation point on it saying that the device cannot start.

I'll run the Seatools now. :)

Back
Top Bottom