Windows 7 Laggy and slow behavior

bsdixon

I just installed Windows 7 x64 on my new Desktop machine:

Dell Precision 690
- 2 X Intel Xeon CPU Dual Core 5050 3.0GHz 667FSB 4MB Cache
- 2 X 2GB of PC-4200
- 2 X 500GB 7200 RPM Hard drives
- 1 X NVidia Quadro FX3400 256MB PCI-E

This machine is more than capable of running Windows 7, but I have noticed some unusual behavior. Initially when I installed Windows 7 I noticed that the drivers were all generic and weren't specific to my hardware. I took the liberty of making sure I had the fresh drivers as my performance was very choppy and laggy as I was downloading software. All drivers are the latest versions (including the chipset, BIOS and video card), but I still get this odd behavior in that the performance is extremely sluggish.

I ran the Index Score for my machine and the only that that was not between a 5.5-6 was the gaming performance. I was already aware that the card installed on my machine was not made to game, but I was not worried about that as the general desktop video settings performance scored above 5.

At this point I have spent several hours searching forums and other online resources to come to a conclusion as to why my machine (plenty of power) is running so bad. I have talked to friends running with far less setups than mine and they experience nothing like what I am talking about. I have tried disabling the Windows affects, but all that really seems to do is just hide the fact that the movement in the windows is choppy. I also went through and tried a few other video drivers, but to no avail I was not successful in curing the problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue or behavior similar to whats going on with my machine?

Problem Solved

I decided to go out and buy a new video card since my one was getting such a low score in the gaming and 3D performance. That fixed the issue and I how have no problems at all. :)

Lol...well that should stop the lag! Nice card man..

Back