Windows 7 Language pack VS. original language version

naushikaa

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what the difference, if any, there are between installing an original English version of Windows 7 (or 8 for that matter) and installing an English Language Pack through Windows Update?

So far, I just understand that I need either an Ultimate or Enterprise version of Windows 7 to do this on W7 or any version for W8.

Are there any fundamental differences in looks, performance or usability between ordering an English OS and just installing the Language Pack? Buying a computer in Germany but would much prefer an English OS!

Thanks!

If your Windows 7 comes with German language and you want English instead, then yes..... you need Win 7 Ultimate because you cannot install Language Pack unless you have the right version.
Windows 7 Home Premium version or lower can NOT install language Pack.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/products/features/language-packs

excerpt : Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise can switch easily between 35 display languages—watch this video to see how. (0:41)

Thanks for the reply, but I think you've just comfirmed what I said I knew. :)
What I'd actually like to know is whether there's any difference in changing the language with the language pack or getting the right language in the first place.

Language Pack is for users who need to use multiple languages in the same computer.
The English in the Pack is no different than a computer with just English display language.
If you want English only computer, then buy one with English language. However, that might not be easy if you live in a country whose national language is not English and computers sold there have different display language than English. Hence, the Language Pack.

Back