Windows 8 Laptop won't reboot after removing upper filters and lower filters

DesVVV

Hello everyone,

I really need your help. My Sony Vaio laptop (model: SVE151G13M) did not recognize my dvd/cd-rom anymore and dumb as I am, I tried to fix this myself. On the website of Microsoft I read a step-by-step guide on how to remove the upper filters and lower filters to fix this problem. However, I may have removed too many, or the wrong filters. Now my laptop does not want to reboot anymore due to missing files.

I read that I can recover the system by pushing the ASSIST button, choose troubleshoot/recovery etc. The system asks me to rescue my documents first, and of course that is my main goal.. Save as many files, photos, documents and videos as I can. I attached an external hard disk with plenty of space on there, chose to rescue the files and waited. However, it is not working and I got an error message multiple times now.

Does anyone know how to replace the deleted upper filters and lower filters, without having to reboot or recover the entire system and loose all of my files? I read something about 'Last known good configuration' but I cannot find this in the options when I press ASSIST.

Please, I am desperate since I am also in the process of writing my master thesis and really need this computer..
16x16_smiley-sad.png

On the website of Microsoft I read a step-by-step guide on how to remove the upper filters and lower filters to fix this problem.

Filters in windows 8??? IME the only Microsoft "how to" for filters is for a Vista problem and step one of any guide is backup your registry.

I read that I can recover the system by pushing the ASSIST button, choose troubleshoot/recovery etc. The system asks me to rescue my documents first, and of course that is my main goal.. Save as many files, photos, documents and videos as I can. I attached an external hard disk with plenty of space on there, chose to rescue the files and waited. However, it is not working and I got an error message multiple times now.

Option 1, remove the hdd and put into a different computer to back up any files that can be saved then replace and re-install the hdd with a new os.
Option 2, get a usb dvd drive and (with the laptop turned OFF) press the assist buttion to boot Ubuntu... a free download system that runs from a dvd and can read/ back up your files (assumes they are still there to back-up).

the US help page for all vaio = http://esupport.sony.com/US/VAIO

p.s there are two main ways to bugger a dvd drive in a laptop:
1. mal-ware infected... easy to fix.
2. play different region coded dvd's... you only get so many region changes before the drive becomes locked. Normal dvd drives are 5 but from memory that model only has 3... in any event the drive is buggered for life in this senario.

Last edited:
Back