Windows 7 Laptop's Screen Flickers (relatively new, treat it well)

LoRes2101

My screen randomly flickers sometimes. I don't know if it has to do with the computer getting too hot, the cables messed being messed up, or if the drivers have some sort of problem.

I have a lenovo laptop G530 I bought in the Fall. It shipped with windows vista, but I upgraded it to windows 7. I didn't really notice any of the flickering until the beginning of summer. I've been on my laptop all day on a clear table and it seems to be fine, but I notice it significantly if I have it on my bed or on my lap or something which is why I guessed it may have to do with heat, although it doesn't feel super hot. It probably takes about an hour or so on my lap before I'd notice flickering. This isn't always the case though.

I recorded a (low quality cellphone) video of it happening here:

I ended up fixing it kind of/recreating it by tilting the monitor screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could well be heat but if it's under warranty i'd take the option first to be safe, if it is just heat then you can pick up laptop cooler pads for about ÂŁ5 on ebay from Hong kong...worked wonders on the missus's laptop after I upgraded its CPU.

The cabling also goes through the screen supports. Moving it might make or break connections.

With laptops, it is always good to plug them into an external monitor to check.

I also have this exact same problem! I feel it has something to do with the architecture, and running high intensity graphics (ie anything with motion), as well as heat disipation. I find that if I adjust the lcd angle, it temporarily relieves the problem, but it can come back at any moment. Did you figure out what was wrong with it?

Derp derp derp I love when my huge reply gets deleted by my browser EVERY time I don't copy it before replying, and NEVER when I do copy.

Basically I updated all my drivers with a special package from Lenovo that did everything for me. It was really difficult to find, not linked on their site (found it with a google search), and for some reason updated in Taiwanese. Not sure if this fixed the problem because right after this I happened to place laptop somewhere it could breathe better, and it started working fine again.

I think the answer for me was fixing heat circulation. I just ordered one of these:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I also have this exact same problem! I feel it has something to do with the architecture, and running high intensity graphics (ie anything with motion), as well as heat disipation. I find that if I adjust the lcd angle, it temporarily relieves the problem, but it can come back at any moment. Did you figure out what was wrong with it?

Is the frequency set right? Also, do you see the same flickerring in bios setup and in safe mode, to see if it's a video card issue?

Have you tried other connections, vga, hdmi, d-sub?

Is the frequency set right? Also, do you see the same flickerring in bios setup and in safe mode, to see if it's a video card issue?

Have you tried other connections, vga, hdmi, d-sub?

It only happens when the operating system is actually up and running, i.e not in bios, not in the windows loading screen, but it can happen at the log-in screen. Its almost as if there is a loose connection, because tilting the lcd to certain angles alleviates the problem, but I don't want to take apart the whole screen just to find out its a driver problem.

I started to clean it, but then found a site that described my problem exactly. Seems like dust on the fan, combined with dropping it numerous times had jiggled loose the LCD connectors. After some dis-assembly, I seem to have solved the problem.

Solution:

G530 Jumpy Screen - Page 2 - lenovo community

I do not suggest doing this yourself, unless you are comfortable taking apart and rebuilding your laptop, as the two LCD connectors are very fiddly, and can be damaged easily.

I've been on my laptop all day on a clear table and it seems to be fine, but I notice it significantly if I have it on my bed or on my lap or something which is why I guessed it may have to do with heat, although it doesn't feel super hot. It probably takes about an hour or so on my lap before I'd notice flickering. This isn't always the case though.

You have your own answer right there...

Placing the laptop on your bed or on your lap is blocking the air intakes underneath and overheating it.

Old joke...
Guy walks into a doctor's office, hooks his thumb over the edge of the desk and whacks it with a hammer.
Guy: "Doc, It hurts like crazy every time I do that"...
Doc: "Then stop doing it".

Back