Windows 7 Latitude D820 Touchpad Help?

musashin

Hey everyone--first post in here.

About a month ago, I updated my iTunes software and had some significant issues with my laptop. The screen went crazy, eventually resulting in a BSOD, and was reluctant to turn back on. After waiting some time, it finally turned on, but does not respond in any way to touchpad, touchstick, or built-in mouse button input. From the symptoms, I am led to believe that it is not a hardware issue, but a driver issue. I have tried in vain for some time to locate the correct driver to get the touchpad etc. to work on my Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I believe I have the D820 'EP' edition, with the NVidia Quadro NVS 120M 512MB video card, 2GB RAM, and the 2.33GHz T7600 dual-core processor, if that matters. When the touchpad and such did work, it appeared as "Alps Touchpad Device" or something similar.

iTunes, however, works wonderfully. :tongue:

Can anyone help me?

musashin:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Go to Dell support, plug in your service tag number and download the drivers for the device (extract the driver package to a folder of your choice on your computer), I suspect that the Vista 32bit drivers will work although you may need to install them using compatability mode. Open control panel programs and features and uninstall any previously installed ALPS software products relating to your glide point or stick point hardware. Go into device manager and remove them from there and reboot your machine. If the found new hardware wizards asked for a driver point it to the folder where you extraced the driver (Apfiltr.inf).

Hmmm...the touchpad doesn't seem to even appear in the device manager list... Is there anything I can do to make sure the computer sees it, short of opening up the computer?

Thanks for your help, though. I downloaded the correct driver, noticing in the process that I'd already downloaded that one. No result, I expect because the computer doesn't even recognize that the device exists. Now I'm confused.

Definitely a problem. Did you expand everything that might be related. Looked at my old hp laptop, but unfortunately it's running XP, the ALPs touch pad is shown under "Mice and other pointing devices" as an Alps pointing device. So check stuff like HID (human interface devices). Otherwise it is always possible that the connection cable may be loose or disconnected or you may be missing some other supporting hardware driver like a chipset or pcibus driver. You may even consider a bios update if one is available.

Back