Windows 7 Legal copy of Windows 7 P rofessional

webscaper

I bought a laptop from eBay that has a COA sticker. Where can I download a legal copy of Windows 7 P rofessional that is authorized by Microsoft as genuine? I know it is possible through a torrent but not recommended.

That COA sticker ( product key ) is for which Win 7 version ?
Sounds like the laptop is not presently running Win 7 Pro.
If it is NOT a Win 7 Pro key, then you will have to purchase a valid Win 7 Pro key with the dvd software, then you can do a clean install.

Installation software is no good WITHOUT a valid corresponding product key.
i.e. Win 7 Pro key for Win 7 Pro installation software.

The product key is on the COA sticker. T he laptop is running Windows 7 Professional. I Have not received the laptop yet in the mail. I would assume that the seller, which is a computer recycling company, activated windows with the product key on the COA sticker or it was already installed and activated. I am not sure if I will receive a retail disc copy and not likely because it has been recycled. These are business laptops that are discarded by companies that have upgraded to newer systems.

Last edited:
It is possible that Windows 7 Professional was pre-installed on the laptop by Dell. Is it possible to get an oem version, so that I do not have to call Microsoft to get it activated?

Most usually laptops have a separate partition where the installation is preserved, thus you do not need a separate disc - or, the computer comes with a separate disc. Unfortunately, some "business men" duplicate Windows, selling something that's functional, but not really legal.

If you want to have it working, you mention it in your opening post - which I do not, definitely, support. If you want it to be legal, there's only one address: Microsoft. That's the ballgame.

Paul, The Digital River downloads are approved by Microsoft.

Mentioning "duplicating Windows" I didn't mean The Digital River. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. Still, many do duplicate Windows, and that was my point: beware. Thanks for your comment, whs.

Back
Top Bottom