Legal copy of Windows 7 P rofessional

I bought a laptop from eBay that has a COA sticker. Where can I download a legal copy of Windows 7 P rofessional that is authorized by Microsoft as genuine? I know it is possible through a torrent but not recommended.

davidhk129

That COA sticker ( product key ) is for which Win 7 version ?
Sounds like the laptop is not presently running Win 7 Pro.
If it is NOT a Win 7 Pro key, then you will have to purchase a valid Win 7 Pro key with the dvd software, then you can do a clean install.

Installation software is no good WITHOUT a valid corresponding product key.
i.e. Win 7 Pro key for Win 7 Pro installation software.

The product key is on the COA sticker. T he laptop is running Windows 7 Professional. I Have not received the laptop yet in the mail. I would assume that the seller, which is a computer recycling company, activated windows with the product key on the COA sticker or it was already installed and activated. I am not sure if I will receive a retail disc copy and not likely because it has been recycled. These are business laptops that are discarded by companies that have upgraded to newer systems.

davidhk129

Here is the absolutely legal download link for Win 7 ISO.
Make sure you pick the correct " bit " version. i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit. ( x86 = 32-bit. )
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

After you have downloaded the Win 7 Pro ISO files, use the following program to burn it to a bootable installation DVD.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Last edited:
It is possible that Windows 7 Professional was pre-installed on the laptop by Dell. Is it possible to get an oem version, so that I do not have to call Microsoft to get it activated?

whs

Extraordinary Member
Make sure the COA sticker has the key for Windows 7 Professional. This is the only key with which you can activate a copy from Digital River. If that PC was upgraded at some time from e.g. Vista or Win7 Home, then you are out of luck. Here is some more on the procedure:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Most usually laptops have a separate partition where the installation is preserved, thus you do not need a separate disc - or, the computer comes with a separate disc. Unfortunately, some "business men" duplicate Windows, selling something that's functional, but not really legal.

If you want to have it working, you mention it in your opening post - which I do not, definitely, support. If you want it to be legal, there's only one address: Microsoft. That's the ballgame.

whs

Extraordinary Member
Paul, The Digital River downloads are approved by Microsoft.

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Mentioning "duplicating Windows" I didn't mean The Digital River. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. Still, many do duplicate Windows, and that was my point: beware. Thanks for your comment, whs.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.