Windows 7 Libraries and homegroup?

Artificial

Can anyone please tell me why libraries and homegroup are useful in W7?

I understand it is "easier" to setup, but is there anything else?

I already have my files organized in folders (Audio, Documents, Programs, Pictures, Videos). Is there any difference if i set that folder as a library?
Is Homegroup any different than normal file sharing (when everything is setup). The only difference i noticed is that there are no write permissions (at all, except public folder, but that is not even the same folder) when using homegroup.

Personally I find both very usefull. Libraries are good if your media is spread over multiple folders in different locations, so you can add all the folders into the library for easy access. Also usefull as I browse all my files from explorer navigation pane and they are righ there. You can also share your libraries.
Homegroup is different from normal sharing because you cant use it unless both machines have 7. Easy as to setup when they do. You simply create a homegroup on the first machine, then it gives you a password. The secound machine will notice the homegroup on the network and you simply click connect (porvided you have the homegroup password).

"I already have my files organized in folders (Audio, Documents, Programs, Pictures, Videos). Is there any difference if i set that folder as a library?"

Not really, no. Other than they will appear in the library shortcut

I see how libraries can be useful if you have files on more places and you wish to have them grouped, but i am a bit puzzled about Homegroup. It is basically the same as normal folder sharing. It is a bit easier to setup, but it can not be accessed from any other OS than 7.

I put a shortcut to the libraries on my desktop, with a couple of clicks on the mouse, I can access any of my music, pictures, video's, recipes, etc......it's all right there waiting for me. It's so simple it ridiculous.

:)

Back
Top Bottom