Windows 8 List of features removed with each "upgrade"

To each there own. If you look at just the features removed, you will continue to live in the past.

To each there own. If you look at just the features removed, you will continue to live in the past.

I don't consider an OS doing progressively less and less with each release any kind of an upgrade. I think if, when people bought a new computer, they were given a choice as to what OS they wanted you would find an overwhelming number of people would prefer to "live in the past". The only thing that will make it look like Win 8 sales are up is that people don't have that option.

The OS is not doing less and less, it is doing the same with fewer features, mostly un-needed features. The OS is running faster and more securely and doing more work with fewer things shoved in to muck up the works.

Yes there are some that would choose to live in the past, but even more than would choose and are choosing to upgrade away from XP. That OS is almost 15 years old, and full of holes that make it less secure, using less secure browsers. There are many people upgrading to Win 7, one of those new fangled OSs that you do not wish to upgrade to, and now many people upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8.

Many of those still using XP are businesses that have a lot of proprietary S/W that will be expensive to replace, or businesses that have large numbers of H/W that has to be updated, and even these businesses are upgrading in large groups. Yes, Win 8 is too new to see these groups upgrading, especially when many have already begun the Win 7 upgrade.

Again, each newer OS is more secure and uses fewer resources than it's predecessor. This is progress, but no one says you have to change. Stay with what works for you.

Hi

I do miss the games like chess and freecell.

I had them installed in the beta, I'll have to figure that out all over again.

Mike

"The OS is not doing less and less, it is doing the same with fewer features"
Oh, yeah... this is gonna make sense.

"The OS is running faster and more securely and doing more work with fewer things shoved in to muck up the works."
Like a Start menu for example.

"That OS is almost 15 years old, and full of holes that make it less secure, using less secure browsers."
With a good firewall and antivirus (ie. not microsoft) I can't remember the last time I got a virus. I'm just as secure. I'm also running the latest version of Firefox, so so much for your browser claim.

"There are many people upgrading to Win 7, one of those new fangled OSs that you do not wish to upgrade to"
I have Win 7 on a laptop... but not by choice. It's a useless OS. The start menu sucks, networking sucks, the search sucks, I can't group my 600 folders by individual letters of the alphabet, which sucks. Trust me, it was no upgrade... unless you happen to be one of those people who are impressed by bluer blues and neat-o transitions. Are you?

"and now many people upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8."
If you Google "Windows 8 sales" you'll find nothing but things like "sluggish and disappointing". They can throw around all of their "We sold X number of copies in X number of days" all they want, but those are just OEM licenses sold to people like Dell and HP. They may have sold a bunch of copies at $15 each, but you have no way of knowing if they were ever installed.

"Again, each newer OS is more secure and uses fewer resources than it's predecessor."

XP:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

Win 7 & 8:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

I'm not sure you fully understand the word "fewer".

"This is progress"
If you say so. I think this is the beginning of Microsoft trying to copy Apple by rigidly controlling what you can and can't do on your own computer. You've noticed that they'll sell you things back that used to come with the OS, right? As for me, I want my OS to be light, quick and useful and not just bluer with slightly rounder corners

I'm not a gamer, but...
Despite what developers say, Microsoft defends Windows 8 for gaming | VentureBeat

Hi

I do miss the games like chess and freecell.

I had them installed in the beta, I'll have to figure that out all over again.

Mike

Mike, there is a great Free Cell game as part of the free MS Solitaire app from the App Store. I use it often along with the free Mahjong game. Try them, they are very nice.

Thanks I'll check that out, I've played FreeCell for years.
My longest winning streak, 47 games.

Back