Local area connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration and dns servers not responding.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by ProvenKaedon, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ProvenKaedon

ProvenKaedon New Member

My internet has been working fine for the last few years, but todat my internet as suddenly stopped working and i haven't changed anything.

When i try to use a cord to get internet i get Local area connection doesn't have a valid Ip configuration and when i try to use wi-fi it says dns servers arent responding.

Right now the only way i can get internet is by directly plugging in my "internet cord" into my laptop and anything off of routers or wifi will not work.

P.S. My knowledge of computers is very basic in this category so detailed solution would be much appreciated.

Kyle

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

From the way you state the conditions, it sounds like your router is not working.

Have you tried shutting everything down and rebooting the router, modem, and your system?

3. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Try doing a hard reset on the router - there is usually a small pinhole into which you can poke a paper clip while powered up to hard rest the router to factory state.

4. ProvenKaedon

ProvenKaedon New Member

I reset my router with the reset button and nothing has changed.

5. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

I've been a janitor for quite some time, and we've had this DNS problem. If I've got it right, it's a problem somewhere "along the line". You can get past it by rebooting the router in your main line = unplug the main router + modems. You need to plug off power cords.

It may be a pain in the *beep*, get in contact with your Internet provider.