Windows 8 Locked out of computer forever?

Hizduo

I've got what should be a really simple fix, but I can't figure it out. So my step-dad just reformated his old ASUS x205t laptop. Upon first setting it up he chose a local login password, wrote it down, then it got thrown away. Now we can't login. Normally, I would just put a windows disc in the cd player then boot it up to do another reformat. The problem is, firstly, that this laptop has no cd player. No problem, because we have an external one that hooks up to usb. Problem #2--i can not figure out how to boot from usb. When i enter setup, and scroll over to the boot screen, i've got no options. It's just blank... I'll attach a photo.

So what can I do? I can't login and I can't boot up with a windows CD to reformat it. There's no way to reset the password because it's just a local login, not associated with any online account. It's windows 8, by the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190116_150505_HDR.jpg
    20190116_150505_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 329
You have UEFI boot enabled, the disc probably doesn't have a bootable EFI file, you'll need to look for the boot type and change it to CSM (could also say legacy hybrid) then you should be able to boot to a non UEFI disc.

Hey thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on how to "look for the boot type and change it to CSM..."? Is this something I do in the BIOS setup screen?

Yes the option is located in the firmware. BIOS is a type of firmware as is UEFI. Newer systems don't technically have a BIOS firmware.

I've been messing around in the firmware, and can't find any option for renaming my boot drive. I've never dealt with a computer so limiting. Is it under the "boot" tab, as pictured above? As you can see from the picture, there's like no editing options at all.

Firmware interfaces are rarely the same. It would be difficult to tell you where it will be in your firmware.

Click "CTRL + ALT + DEL" twice at the login screen. Select the user Administrator and just leave the password field blank. This will usually unlock the administrator account and let the user login.

Back