Windows 7 Logging on to another domain

jwswks

Hi Guys,

I have a win7 pro laptop that my boss uses currently.

The problem is this laptop is currently connected to domain A.

My boss is going overseas to visit one of our sub company which have domain B.

He do not need domain A while he is overseas.

If he have an account previously in domain B, could he just type " domainB\username" overseas when he is connected to domain B?

Thanks.

What does he need the domain access for?
If he needs to access shared resources that are managed by the domainB domain controller, he needs an account under domainB that allows him access to those resources.
But that has nothing to do with the laptop. Did I misunderstand the question?

What does he need the domain access for?
If he needs to access shared resources that are managed by the domainB domain controller, he needs an account under domainB that allows him access to those resources.
But that has nothing to do with the laptop. Did I misunderstand the question?

Hi alberto,

Sorry if my question seems vague,

What he told me... he does have an account in domain B, so when windows 7 boots up he would want to login into domain's B domain.
- I ask him to try <domain B name>\<login id>, not sure if it works

He is not really IT savy and there are programs and scripts which he ran needed the credentials that he is on domain B.

For shared resources... do you mean a prompt for userid and pwd will appear if you tried to access those resources?

Im not sure if the programs are able to run... so just wanted to check if he could just login to domain B directly to minimize complications.

Summary is... Is he able to connect to domain A and B separately?
i.e. In main office, he will connect to <domain A>\<A login id>
in Sub office, he will connect to <domain B>\<B login id>

He dun need to connect both domains at 1 time.

Thanks
jwswks

Hi jwswks, for his laptop I'd suggest using a machine account to login, so that he is able to use it wherever he wants, regardless of the domain. Something like <machinename>\<username>.
As for running applications and scripts that need domain credentials, I'd say contact the domain admin at domainB and get an account with the appropriate permissions.
For shared resources I mean databases, file shares, ...
As far as I know (I'm still studying Active Directory & Win Server, so don't take my word for it) the programs depending on how they are written should either ask for username & password when you try to access domainB resources or simply fail if the user that runs them does not have the necessary permissions. It really depends on how the programs were written.
The safest bet would be contacting the sysadmin in domainB and telling him exactly what your boss needs to access.

Hi Alberto,

Thanks ^^
Just that domain B does not have admins now... which is why my boss approach me for advice.

I will ask him to try the machine name suggestion, needa check if the scripts and programs actually runs.

if worst comes I will accompany him on his next trip to sub coy to have a look.

Sorry I couldn't help u out more than that... As I said I'm not really all that much of an expert on domain matters. Still, hope it helps!

Back