Windows 7 Logitech Quickcam Express doesn't work -at all-

Lazure

I'm on Windows7 64-bit... I've tried everything. Obviously there's no windows 7 drivers for this, so I tried to get the vista ones from the official website. The installer wouldn't even run, until I ran it through vista compatibility. They installed, but it didn't even react to when I plugged the camera in or not. So I tried finding other 64-bit drivers I could find on the net for the quickcam. They would install, and I would manually assign the drivers that match the camera, but then applications say that the 'webcam is in use' even though nothing was using it, obviously... so apparently, it does not work.

This webcam is a bit old, but I don't have the cash to buy a brand new one for pretty much.. one person.. so I don't know what to do.

Win7 32bit Quickcam Deluxe for Notebooks, s/w v11.90.1263xxx

Well... the v11.90 (and previous) loaded into 32bit Win7, but... anytime I fuss with video (even in Skype beta)... it hard locks the whole computer (old Toshiba notebook, Satellite M55), and have to hold power switch for 6secs to force power off.
[Edit: The fix is to run install with 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'... see other post below.]
[Edit: my video freeze is due to my notebook's graphics chipset... Intel & Microsoft have 'orphaned' the Intel 910/915 mobile graphics chipset for Vista, so no Aero desktop in Vista or Win7... Intel won't write WDDM drivers for it because MS won't give them a pass on requirements for Aero. And Win7 needs the WDDM drivers to play vid files or DVD's or even run the Win Experience Rating test... I can run Vista without Aero, and I can run Win7, but without Aero or vids/DVD playback. Otherwise, to fix that limitation, I have to use 'Standard VGA Graphics adapter' driver instead (but still no Aero).]

Got a note into Logitech asking if something's in development, and if can be a beta tester :razz:...
...the standard reply on forums is 'we don't support beta OS's. :frown:
[Edit: Got a boilerplate reply: 'we don't have info on items in developement'.]

Last edited:
I also installed Windows 7 x64 last night and i couldn't get my QuickCam Communicate Deluxe to work either. I used the Vista 64 drivers, but no luck. I hardly ever used it anyways. But i'd like to get it working on 7 eventually...

Quickcam software v11.80 Works! in 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' (Vista) mode

I have a Quickcam Deluxe for Notebooks, and downloaded the latest software from the Logitech website...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/downloads/

...then you right-click on the install file... and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility", click 'Next', it goes into 'Detecting issues' for a while...
...then it displays "What problems did you notice"... and 'The program worked in earlier versions...' is checked.
That's all I needed, and clicked 'Next'... and it displays 'What version of Windows...', I clicked Vista, and 'Next'...
...it displays a summary and tells you to click 'Next' to try running with the settings.

After I finished that installation... my Quickcam worked fine, except... when I went to play a vid I recorded with the Quickcam software, and a small version of Windows Media Player popped up and tried to play the new vid.
WinMediaPlayer hard locked and I had to hold power off for 6 secs to shutdown. An anomaly with my system, may not be present on yours.
[Edit: As mentioned above... this is due to my notebook's Intel 910/915 graphics chipset not having WDDM drivers.]

I'm going to re-install Skype (beta) the same way (Troubleshoot Compatibility), and then (maybe) when I try to confirm/adjust video settings in Skype's Options... maybe... it won't hard lock there anymore as well.
[Edit: Skype (beta) works well for audio conversations, but when I try to have it 'detect' videocam to set up for video conversations... it locks up. Again, probably my notebook's graphics chipset problem.]

But Quickcam works fine... so far... maybe I can get WinMediaPlayer to straighten up. I tried to play just a regular Windows sample video and WMP hard locked there... so it's probably not the Quickcam recorded vid that's a problem... for me.

Last edited:
I have a Quickcam Deluxe for Notebooks, and downloaded the latest software from the Logitech website...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/downloads/

...then you right-click on the install file... and select \"Troubleshoot Compatibility\", click 'Next', it goes into 'Detecting issues' for a while...
...then it displays \"What problems did you notice\"... and 'The program worked in earlier versions...' is checked.
That's all I needed, and clicked 'Next'... and it displays 'What version of Windows...', I clicked Vista, and 'Next'...
...it displays a summary and tells you to click 'Next' to try running with the settings.

After I finished that installation... my Quickcam worked fine, except... when I went to play a vid I recorded with the Quickcam software, and a small version of Windows Media Player popped up and tried to play the new vid.
WinMediaPlayer hard locked and I had to hold power off for 6 secs to shutdown. An anomaly with my system, may not be present on yours.

I'm going to re-install Skype the same way (Troubleshoot Compatibility), and then (maybe) when I try to confirm/adjust video settings in Skype's Options... maybe... it won't hard lock there anymore as well.

But Quickcam works fine... so far... maybe I can get WinMediaPlayer to straighten up. I tried to play just a regular Windows sample video and WMP hard locked there... so it's probably not the Quickcam recorded vid that's a problem... for me.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out.

RpD, that worked, Thanks!!

Last edited:
As noted in my 'edits', my video lockups are due to my notebook's graphics chipset lack of WDDM drivers (thanks to Intel and MS squabbling).

Otherwise Quickcam works fine in Win7 (except, for 910/915 chipsets, the recorded vid playback), and...
Skype (beta) audio works fine (except for video conversation... again with my notebook's limitations).

I can view/record my Quickcam... just can't play -saved- vids (due to lack of WDDM driver for notebook chipset).

I'm harping on the WDDM driver, 'cause the 910/915 chipset -worked- with Aero in Vista -BETA- just fine apparently... but MS put in a check in the final release of Vista for WDDM compliance and so that kills the 910/915's ability to use Aero in the official released version of Vista... not that it won't work, just that it doesn't have the 'blessed by MS' WDDM signature. There is a lack of newer hardware in the 910/915 chipset (tha limits its abilities for MS's 'Premium' requirements)... but it -can- display the Aero desktop... so it -could- have a WDDM 'signature' driver... which might also enable me to play vidfiles and DVD's in Win7.
But no... thousands of notebooks with 910/915 mobile chipset aren't able to use Aero in Vista/Win7, or play vids/DVD's in Win7.

/end rant

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help anyone, but I just tried to install my Quickcam Communicate STX into Win7 64-bit, successfully, in the end, but with some problems:

1. Downloaded 64-bit drivers for Vista from Logitech site
2. Ran install program in Vista compatibility mode. Ignored warning about known compatibility issues
3. Install program would not recognize device when plugged in. Devices NOT installed correctly. One "unknown device" added to Device Manager.
4. Updated driver for "unknown device" (from Device Manager) browsing all my C:\ drive for drivers.
5. Drivers found and installed.
6. Ran Logitech software (ignoring further compatibility warnings, even when run in Vista compatibility mode) - device configured and working fine.

G.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I just tried to install my Quickcam Communicate STX into Win7 64-bit, successfully, in the end, but with some problems:

1. Downloaded 64-bit drivers for Vista from Logitech site
2. Ran install program in Vista compatibility mode. Ignored warning about known compatibility issues
3. Install program would not recognize device when plugged in. Devices NOT installed correctly. One "unknown device" added to Device Manager.
4. Updated driver for "unknown device" (from Device Manager) browsing all my C:\ drive for drivers.
5. Drivers found and installed.
6. Ran Logitech software (ignoring further compatibility warnings, even when run in Vista compatibility mode) - device configured and working fine.

G.

Well hello fellow Communicate STX owner! ;)
Could you please specify which file you downloaded ? (Was it qc1150_x64.exe?)

If yes, then each step worked fine until step 5.

Where on C:\ did Windows find the driver?

Would you be kind enough to send it to my e-mail? ([email protected])

[edit] QuickCam-Software says, that my cam is being used by another program. Oo[/edit]

Best regards and tia!
Exter

Last edited:
Well hello fellow Communicate STX owner! ;)
Could you please specify which file you downloaded ? (Was it qc1150_x64.exe?)

If yes, then each step worked fine until step 5.

Where on C:\ did Windows find the driver?

Would you be kind enough to send it to my e-mail? ([email protected])

[edit] QuickCam-Software says, that my cam is being used by another program. Oo[/edit]

Best regards and tia!
Exter

Exter.... In answer to your questions,

Yes, the file I downloaded was qc1150_x64.exe

I do not know where the drivers were found. What I did was let the Hardware wizard run, select :Browse My Computer for drivers, then place C:\ in the "Search for driver software in this location" box, make sure the "Include subfolders" box is checked, and let Windows do its thing. This found the necessary drivers, and I'm guessing they were found in the location where Logitech installed its software, which would be c:\program files (x86)\Logitech\Quickcam. I cannot confirm that, however. Could just as easily have been the Driverstore. In any case, I suggest you try to search all your install drive for Win7,

Haven't had any probelsm about the camera being used by something else. I do not know of any other programs installed in my system that would need to attempt such a thing!!!

Hope that is some sort of help!:)

Greybat!

I installed the software like so, and told it to search my entire drive. It said it couldn't find anything. Plus, quickcam app says "a webcam was not found or is not working properly" even when it's plugged in.

Also, my device manager didn't say unknown device, it said "Camera" but still had the "!" warning flag on it.

NOTE: I attempted to force the "Camera" to be a specific driver made for the webcam. Logitech's app instead says "Camera is in use by another application." even tho nothing is using it.

Last edited:
Lazure,

Forgive me if you have tried all these things, of if I am stating the obvious, but.......

1. Presumably you are installing the correct set of drivers for your version of Win7; i.e. 64-bit drivers for 64-bit Win7, or 32-bit drivers for 32-bit Win7. If not, make sure you download the correct driver set for Logitech.
2. Assuming the above, I suggest you uninstall the Logitech software, disconnect your camera, re-boot, then start again.
3. Make sure you do not connect the camera until the install process tells you to.

What model of Logitech camera are you trying to install, by the way?

Graham

I'm using the Logitech Quickcam Express. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and I used the qc1150_x64 installer.

I notice from an earlier post that you had found other drivers and installed them. Have you made sure they are all uninstalled before trying the Logitech ones again?

(Clutching at straws here, I'm afraid!!!)

Well, I did this after all other things wouldn't work. I put in drivers that will show up in the hardware list when you manually select a driver. Those just simply cause it to say camera is in use by another app. If I uninstall them, it goes back to being 'cannot detect a camera or camera is not funcitoning properly' problem.

More straws - I'm sure you have tried these......

1. I presume you have tried the (limited!) troubleshooting tips on the Logitech site if you get "camera in use....."
2. If you go into Update Driver Software (from Device Manager entry for your camera), Click Browse...., then pick "Let me pick...", then UNSELECT Show Compatible Hardware, then find and click Logitech in the left pane. Do you see a whole bunch of Logitech Camera models, and is yours amongst them? If so, give it a whirl. Ignore the warning you may get about incompatible drivers. I don't think you can do any harm!

G.

I'm sorry. The troubleshooting tips are in a Readme.html file which you should find in c:\Program Files (X86)\Logitech\QuickCam\Readme. (And, yes, they are in the x86 program files folder, despite being related to 64-bit drivers!)

Last edited:
That's what I did, I had a list of logitech cameras in there, I picked mine. Forced it to install them despite the warnings, and it says "Camera is in use". Without those, it doesn't get detected at all save for a "!" Camera thing in device manager.

I've run out of ideas, I'm afraid. Can you get any help from Logitech? They may say they are not supporting Win7 yet, or they may be aware of your issues. Can't hurt, anyway!

Hi there - I have the exact same camera (free with my new monitor).

I am also running x64bit version of Windows 7 (7137).

I got the camera working by running the qc1150_x64.exe and when it got to the compatibility issues screen I went to my temp directory:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp\QuickCam_11.5.0\Drivers

And ran the LgDrvInst.exe file.

It took a while but it seems to be working fine now (only tested MSN Messenger).

Good luck!

Hi there - I have the exact same camera (free with my new monitor).

I am also running x64bit version of Windows 7 (7137).

I got the camera working by running the qc1150_x64.exe and when it got to the compatibility issues screen I went to my temp directory:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp\QuickCam_11.5.0\Drivers

And ran the LgDrvInst.exe file.

It took a while but it seems to be working fine now (only tested MSN Messenger).

Good luck!
This worked for me. It will work with Skype and Yahoo Messenger.

When I tried to install the rest of the software it actually broke my desktop and all I had was my background and gadgets. It disabled my desktop icons and taskbar. Even after a reboot. The only way I was able to get out of it was to reboot into Safe mode and restore back to before installing it.

I'd suggest to forget about the Logitech Software and just go with the drivers.

When I called Logitech they told me that some people in some forums were having a little bit of luck with it. They wouldn't even try to help though.

Thank you TCB.

Last edited:
Here's a modified driver for Vista and Win7.
Tested under Win7 64Bit. Can't test it under 32Bit at the moment as i don't have a computer with a 32Bit version installed to play with ;)

It works fine with my Logitech Quickcam Express (V-UAP9).
Only drawback is that you have to manually install the driver via the device manager instead of having a setup file..

If windows yells about the driver not being signed, click install anyways. it's because it's modified to work with this cam and the checksums don't match anymore.. no biggie.

Hope it helps.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

[no, this isn't spam. And it is not a virus either]

PS: for the techies: all i did was play around with the hardware device IDs in the .inf and change them to match the actual cam. both the driver and the camera are based on the "ELCH2" platform/codename, so it works fine. does NOT work with the even older "ELCH" platform.

The platform/codename is printed onto the camera's circuit board.
This driver may also work for Labtec Webcams based on the ELCH2 platform, as Labtec is actually Logitech (selling old/outdated models under a different name and in a different casing. hardware is identical).

Back