Windows 7 Logonui.exe Procedure Entry Point Error

StevenFX

Hey everyone,

I installed a registry edit to put a "Take Ownership" option on the right-click context menu so I could easily swap my uxtheme.dll and related files quickly (Add Take Ownership Option Shortcut in Right Click Menu of Windows 7). It worked great and I swapped out the files with no problems or errors.

I went to restart my computer (Start >> Arrow >> Restart) and I got a dialog titled "LoginUI.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the message "The procedure entry point RegQueryValueExW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNELBASE.DLL" withe the only option being "OK." No matter how many times I clicked OK, the message box would come back and I could not do anything else. I ended up using the hard-wired reset button on my computer case to reset my motherboard.

Upon booting I received the familiar "Windows Failed, Start Normally" screen. I selected Start Normally. Before the Windows 7 logo even appeared I got the same exact message box - same title, message, and button. Again, no matter how many times I attempted to close it, it would not go. I once again used the hard-wired reset button.

This time around, I selected Safe Mode. Again, I got the same message box that would not close. All I get is a black screen with this message.

I can only assume it was the registry hack I installed, but since I can't access Windows I cannot run the uninstaller file. Unfortunately I also lost my Windows 7 DVD so I cannot try to repair/whatever. I do have a Linux Live DVD (Ubuntu) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything through it. I do have my old Windows Vista DVD, so I can install that, but I wanted to know what I can do to remedy this or get access to Windows long enough to reverse the damage.

With all due respect,
Steven

D/L 7 recovery cd - burn as an image to cd. (Get the same bit version as you currently have installed)

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

Boot it - on the Install Now screen - select "Repair My Computer" ( at the bottom of the screen ).

It searches for installations, highlight your o/s , click Next.

Select System Restore - choose a point before you had the problem .

Hope it helps.

If you have no restore points - select command prompt- find your 7 installation drive letter like this: ( press enter after each command)

Diskpart

lis par

( note the 7 drive letter)

exi.

Use that drive letter to replace x: in the following:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=x:\ /offwindir=x:\windows\

BTW - there is nothing wrong with the Take ownership .reg file - more likely to be caused by this:
swap my uxtheme.dll and related files

Last edited:
I don't know how this could happen by taking ownership, but it appeared the logonui file has been changed and is missing the entry point need to start.

I hope SIW2 solution works.

You didn't mess around with any other important system files...did you?

I can vouch that it was not the Take Ownership

I will say for certain that it was the UXtheme.dll that changed something with the loginUI.exe file
or an incompatibility with that and a logon screen changer.

And I am almost certain that SIW2's suggestion should fix the issue.

I Hope SIW's solution works as well, because you'll be re-installing Windows if it doesn't.

Never mess wth system files unless you're a highly advanced user, nor the registry for that matter.

Help!

I am having the same problem as well as i have changed my uxtheme.dll, can anyone please help me on this please, i dont wanna loose my files inside my laptop!!!

OMG if this works you are Jesus I really didn't want to reinstall tysm SIW2

UPDATE!UPDATE!UPDATE!UPDATE!
IT WORKED TY SIW2 I love you (I'm not gay though butu made me really happy lol 0_o)

Last edited:
Hi ,

LOL. Glad it worked for you.

Did you use System Restore, or SFC? :D

Last edited:
Hello, I know this is a bit of a late post, but I am having this exact problem, but do not have the luxury of using a dvd, as I am having this problem on a netbook. The other issue is that I do not have an external dvd drive either. What would be my best next option to fix the issue?

if you already have a Live Ubuntu CD( or any Live Unix CD - and have basic knowledge how to use Ubuntu), it's rather easy to fix this problem.
login Ubuntu with your Live Unbuntu live CD ( if you haven't install Ubunu inside your Windows yet)
Browse to system32 folder ( Places -> XX Gb Media -> Windows -> System32, it may be difference depend on you PC)
If you swaped uxtheme.dll ( and other system file) by rename it to uxtheme.OLD ( ot sthing like that) and copy a new uxtheme.DLL to your system32 folder, now you can delete the new uxtheme.DLL file and rename your uxtheme.OLD to uxtheme.DLL ( do the same to other renamed file).
Restart your PC, it work :D.
[ my English is not good, so sorry it it hard for you to understand].

D/L 7 recovery cd - burn as an image to cd. (Get the same bit version as you currently have installed)

When I put the disc into my computer, it would turn on and then turn off again. Is there any way to reinstall Windows 7 when you can't do the normal install?

What is the issue and what are you trying to do ?

The repair disc only has the repair functions - you can't install from it.

In any case , it needs to be booted - not played.

Are you trying to do a clean install of win 7?

Do you have the installation media?

Did you try the "normal" method of booting the install dvd - assuming you have one?

When I put the disc into my computer, it would turn on and then turn off again. Is there any way to reinstall Windows 7 when you can't do the normal install?

What is the issue and what are you trying to do ?

The repair disc only has the repair functions - you can't install from it.

In any case , it needs to be booted - not played.

Are you trying to do a clean install of win 7?

Do you have the installation media?

Did you try the "normal" method of booting the install dvd - assuming you have one?

I have the same problem as the original post did.

Would I be able to reinstall Windows 7 and it would fix the problem?

Yes, a clean reinstall would fix it.

Boot the 7 dvd , choose custom install and follow the prompts.

If you want everything saved into a windows.old folder , don't format the partition , just select it and click next

If you want everything saved into a windows.old folder , don't format the partition , just select it and click next

Would all of my stuff still be there if I do this?

Thanks for all the help, but i found that system restore worked.

Back