Lost network connection wi-fi

I have a friends laptop (hp dv5003cl), XP Pro. That they used to surf the naughty sites and caught a nasty bug of some kind. When booting up it acts normal for the first 1 minute, then BAM, this pc scanner program pops up and starts scanning for a couple of minutes then and error message pops up and then keeps poping up and filling screen. I manage to get into safe mode with networking and do a system restore to the computer known earliest date. All seemed well, then updated from MS and all still seemed well. Then I got this message that the WLAN is not connected. I have a secured wi-fi router. So I tired to manually input wi-fi connection and still can't connect wirelessly. I uninstalled driver and rebooted, found new hardware and installed orginal driver and still no connection. So went to HP and updated driver and still nothing. I couldn't check if connection was good before because of bug. Short of a complete reinstall, anybody have any ideas. I'm completey lost. I know this is for vista but this is my one true fourm for my pc woes. Thanks for any help.

Solved. My wi-fi is secured in which ssid is turned off. I have to manually setup each additional laptop that wants to connect to my network. Once this is done all is good.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.