Windows 7 Lots of problems after last update.

AxellSlade

Some 30 minutes ago I performed an update threw Windows Update, everything installed fine and I continued to use the computer normally. I shut down the PC to watch some TV, and after turning it on again, all kinds of things stopped working.

• Windows Update won't open after clicking it;
  • Right clicking 'Properties' on 'Computer' does nothing;
  • Every time the computer starts, Action Center tells me to turn on Windows Defender and Security Essentials, even though Security Essentials is running, with the green logo meaning no problems;
  • I tried to do a System Restore, but I get an error "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system."(0x80042302).

What the hell? It happened after the last windows updates, which I can't inform what was updated since Windows Update won't open at all.
There may be other problems, but for now that's all I found out.

Any help is appreciated.

Check whether Volume Shadow Copy Service, System Restore Service is started and Set to Automatic

1. Type Services.msc in Start Menu search box, hit Enter.
2. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic.
3. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not.
4. restart your computer.
Now try to do a system restore.
You may also download the Norton removal tool and completely remove all the components of Norton. Check if that helps.
Check how the computer works in safe mode.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
If the computer works fine in safe mode, then do a clean boot.
Refer this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Also, run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to make sure system files are intact and to replace the file. Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Ok, so:

I set 'Volume Shadow Copy' to automatic, and started it;
'System Restore' is not listed in Services;
Didn't understand the Norton part, I don't use Norton at all.

I'll try restarting, then Safe Mode, be right back.

Okay, so thigns *seemed* to be workign in safe mode, but some 5 minutes after booting into it, the same things happen.

• Action Center reports Security Essentials and Windows Defender are off;
  • System Restore does not work;
  • Windows Update does not work;
  • SFC does not work("Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." when I try to run it).

Lots of weird stuff happening. :Sigh:

Okay, so I found what my problem was.

I uninstalled a program(a game actually) using Revo Uninstaller, and it seems some vital regitry entries were erased.

Luckily, Revo allows you do undo that, so that's what I did, and now everything's working fine.

The topic can be closed, thanks kemical for the help(the topic on Microsoft Social you pointed out has a guy mentioning he had these problems after using Revo).

That's great! Thankyou for updating and supporting the site.

Back