Windows 7 Low Windows 7 32bit experience index

tomek091

Helo,
I have lenovo G555, witch has a AMD Athlon II Dual Core M320 proccessor,
after i runed Windows expirience index rating, memory, graphics and disc had a
subscore between 4,7 and 6,1 witch is ok. But the proccessor had only 2,9 what is
very low, because my 8 year old AMD Athlon XP 1800+ shows 3,5 point with the same operating system. I googled then a little bit, and find that someone had with AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300 ,witch is little weaker CPU , 4,9 points ... please tell me how to improve my score in windows 7. Thank you. :p

Check your bios settings that all the cores are enabled and similar cpu settings.

Set the memory settings to automatic if any of them are now manually set.

Save and reboot to Windows.

Make sure that when you run the test, no background programs are using cpu time. Close everything not necessary with task manager before running the test.

These numbers are not totally correct. The number don't mean much, check your startup time ands see how long it takes for Windows to load.

You can also do this iwith excessive graphics software

I upgraded a high-end sound card and new high-end video card in one of my older computers and the Score Index stayed the same.

Right now I have a cheap E-Machine with only a 1.6GHz Athlon II X2 250u processor, my worst score is the processor at 4.5.

This computer is brand new with Home Premium 7 pre-installed.

Last edited:
If you had a PC with changeable processors and other hardware,,,you would be able to benefit from a higher index point ! But, unfortunately, you have a laptop with no changeable hardware ! I am afraid you are stuck with the results you are seeing ! The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.

No, the Winsat tests are irrespective of software installed on the machine (other than drivers for the actual hardware.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_System_Assessment_Tool

"The Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT) is a module of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 which measures various performance characteristics and capabilities of the hardware it is running on and reports them as a Windows Experience Index (WEI) score, a number between 1.0 and 5.9 for Windows Vista and between 1.0 and 7.9 for Windows 7."

Last edited:
If you had a PC with changeable processors and other hardware,,,you would be able to benefit from a higher index point ! But, unfortunately, you have a laptop with no changeable hardware ! I am afraid you are stuck with the results you are seeing ! The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.
Not neccessarily true. You would need to upgrade the component with the lowest score.

unfortunately BIOS settings aren't changeable.... I also tried Passmark benchmark test, and it showed 980 points, with no backround programs running... their result of the same CPU on their web site was 1190. This is normal ?

Helo,
I have lenovo G555, witch has a AMD Athlon II Dual Core M320 proccessor,
after i runed Windows expirience index rating, memory, graphics and disc had a
subscore between 4,7 and 6,1 witch is ok. But the proccessor had only 2,9 what is
very low, because my 8 year old AMD Athlon XP 1800+ shows 3,5 point with the same operating system. I googled then a little bit, and find that someone had with AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300 ,witch is little weaker CPU , 4,9 points ... please tell me how to improve my score in windows 7. Thank you. :p

It sounds like you've just bumped into the "cooling strategies" thing.

Intel's cooling strategy is very simple... run flat out until it gets too hot then start slowing it down. The new AMD processors use a different cooling strategy where they normally keep the processors running about half speed then ramp up the clock when CPU demand increases. (They call it "Cool and Quiet")

If you run CPUZ and watch the main CPU screen while running other programs you will see the speed ramping up and down as you place more demand on the system.

It's debatable which results is a cooler system, but it's impact on your "Experience Index" is plenty apparent.

But hey... it's just a number and has nothing to do with anything but bragging rights, so don't even worry about it. As long as your machine works, you're doing just fine.

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Back
Top Bottom