Windows 7 Windows Experience Index score now only 3?

Humble dual processor 12 in Laptop with 4GB RAM installed . Laptop is a "Generic" Philips Freevents 12NB5800 (Philips don't even recognize they made it but the BIOS starts up with the Philips logo) . I think it might be a "Rebadged" Twinhead or Acer.

I upgraded the original 100 GB hard drive to a faster one (320GB Toshiba 2.5 in Laptop drive) and added 2GB to the original 2GB RAM.

Processor is dual T7250 2.00GHZ

Get a VERY acceptable performance on W7 X-64 -- I'm not a gamer or such so the laptop performs just FINE -- it's slightly larger than the 8.9 Netbook I've also been using. This laptop was very cheap in Dixons (UK) and I use it if I need something with a slightly larger screen than the Netbook .

Hard Disk performance can often be a bottleneck no matter how good the rest of the components are.
Try optimising that first. Set DMA on if possible and it can be worthwhile to upgrade a hard disk -- even on a laptop it's easy -- get one with the LARGEST POSSIBLE CACHE. The CAPACITYE of the hard disk isonly a rough indicator -- larger capacity disks usually perform better, but the CACHE SIZE is a critical component in a Disk's speed and performance especially if it's the primary (or only) hard disk.

SCSI disks have other considerations -- I'm assuming your's isn't a SCSI disk.

Enc screenshot

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
WTF!!! Windows Experience Index is BS!!

the exp. index in W7 is giving me a 3.0 - just like the other people in this forum. funny thing is, i am running both OS' dual - and for anyone that wants to do that without deleting Vista - just install W7 on a new partition or add another HDD - it will make W7 the primary OS but you i just changed the boot loader settings in the bios so it asks me which drive to boot from. so back to my story - in Vista, my score was 5.9. Immediately after installing W7 with no changes - i get 7.9's and a 3.0 for my hard drive - data transfer rate??? and the 3.0 is what my final score ends up being.... BS!! I'm running an Intel i7 - OC'd - 6gb DDR3 - OC'd, 1333mhz tri channel - (2) Radeon 4850 x2 1gb - in CROSSFIRE (OC'd) - there's no way that this should be a 3. but, i guess that's why its a beta!!

Aside from that, I installed it last night and have been playing with it all day - its been crashing pretty regularly - mostly with jumping from program to program - locks up and i've actually gotten a blue screen a few times today. W7 hates google chrome. all in all though, i still like it - getting closer and closer to the holy grail...... OSX which i still say is the benchmark for how an operating system should look, act, and feel. W7 is going in the right direction though!!!

update to my last post - reinstalled with RAID 0 array and still a 3

There must definitely be some kind of glitch - I added a new 2nd 500gb (7200rpm) hdd and did a complete reinstall of W7 with RAID 0 config. first off, setting up RAID showed an immediate improvement in speed! The OS installation only took about ten minutes! and this is only with two drives - i'd love to see how much faster it is with three of four.... immediately after the install i ran the windows experience index again and still got a 3.0 for my hard drive performance!!! i don't know what i can do as these are both brand new drives - write and access speeds are definitely there. just annoying.... oh well.... guess i'll just have to wait for RTM and try that one.

oh yeah.. go see 'Watchmen' if you're a fan or not - saw it IMAX last night - F'n BADASS!!!!

I'm running a m9630f HP Pavillion NVidia 9800Gt 8 Gb Ram 2 x 500 WD SATA and my lowest score is 5.9 Non RAID environment. Build 7057 of Windows 7

Last edited:
There must definitely be some kind of glitch - I added a new 2nd 500gb (7200rpm) hdd and did a complete reinstall of W7 with RAID 0 config. first off, setting up RAID showed an immediate improvement in speed! The OS installation only took about ten minutes! and this is only with two drives - i'd love to see how much faster it is with three of four.... immediately after the install i ran the windows experience index again and still got a 3.0 for my hard drive performance!!! i don't know what i can do as these are both brand new drives - write and access speeds are definitely there. just annoying.... oh well.... guess i'll just have to wait for RTM and try that one.

oh yeah.. go see 'Watchmen' if you're a fan or not - saw it IMAX last night - F'n BADASS!!!!

Hi there

It's like some American Cars -- "Planned Obsolescence". After you've used one of Detroit's "Gas Guzzelers" for 6 months a little orange light comes on with a warning == > hey you're cheating -- time to get a NEW car. 3 Months later a Red light comes on and says "Time expired -- this hardware will no longer function".

The WEI is saying -- you've used your computer for too long -- go and buy a new one. :razz:

Don't worry about the WEI -- if your computer is running fine so be it. The only use of the WEI as far as I can see is to be able to turn the AERO functionality on it needs to have a score of at least 1.0 to work --- But 7048 and 7057 allow you to turn Aero effects on WITHOUT running WEI (which is broken on some machines anyway).

Wait till RTM before you can assume that this stuff is correct anyway -- how do we know how much "debugging and diagnostic" info is built into Beta versions anyway -- and it could also be hardware / manufacturer specific giving your machine a false score if you are running the relevant hardware. This is even more important if you are using "unofficial" builds such as 7022/7048/7057 (and Kyles new one --- any further news on that one Kyle ).

Cheers
jimbo

yes.. jimbo, you're right.....

yeah... i hear you... you're absolutely right. thing is - if its telling me to get a new computer..... this IS the new computer, about two weeks old - i7 CPU, which is why it was bothering me so much. i'll get over it. but i'll tell you what - these little glitches are gonna make me OCD!!! just dl'd the google chrome beta which is working swimmingly on W7 64bit. i like it... i like it alotttt......

peace!

Back
Top Bottom