Windows 8 Making new folders lock-up Windows

Uncle

Hello everyone,
New member here. I bought a new computer at Fry's, when I make a new folder on the C drive I get the blue-circle-of-death and Windows Explorer locks up. Is this a know bug in 8.1?

I went to the MS website and downloaded all the updates for Windows, then rebooted the machine, everything worked fine for a few days and now it has gone back to locking up.

Same thing happens when I try to make a "Favorites" folder for websites. Internet Explorer will lock up.

They were sold out of the computer I wanted, so I bought the display model. The salesman said he had to reset it back to "factory settings". I took about an hour to do this. Did something get screwed up? I'm starting to think buying the display model was a mistake.

Any advice? Thank you.

-Uncle

Hi Uncle,
try this, do a search for command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. (You can also right click in the bottom left hand corner of the desktop and find it in the revealed menu). Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
If it comes back with corruption that cannot be repaired then in the same admin command prompt type (or copy and paste):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results. This can take some time so be prepared to wait.
If the scan is a success then run the above sfc scan again and see if it will now fix the corruption.

Back