Windows 7 Malicious Software Removal Tool

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Hello.

Windows 7 (Pro 64-bit) keeps offering me updates for this. I don't use it as I have a paid-for 3rd party security app.

Where is it hidden (I can't find it on the machine) and how can I stop Windows offering updates for it?

Regards,

Cheemag

The Malicious software removal tool is a run once application. Are you confusing it with Windows Defender? You can disable that in the control panel.
Joe

The Malicious software removal tool is a run once application. Are you confusing it with Windows Defender? You can disable that in the control panel.
Joe

Knowing me, that's quite possible. I'll have a look this evening when I boot that machine.

The Malicious software tool is part of windows updates, but it can really take a long time when it is run. When you are notified for Windows updates by the icon in the lower right hand corner you can deselect it and hide it so it won't be installed. Double click on the icon and you will see the message install updates on your computer. You can click important updates are available. Remove the check mark beside Malicious software removal tool, then right click it and select hide update. This will prevent the installation of that updat. Unfortunately one is part of the monthly Microsoft updates and you will need to do this each month.

Hope this helps!

Re: Malicious Software Removal Tool [SOLVED]

The Malicious software tool is part of windows updates, but it can really take a long time when it is run. When you are notified for Windows updates by the icon in the lower right hand corner you can deselect it and hide it so it won't be installed. Double click on the icon and you will see the message install updates on your computer. You can click important updates are available. Remove the check mark beside Malicious software removal tool, then right click it and select hide update. This will prevent the installation of that updat. Unfortunately one is part of the monthly Microsoft updates and you will need to do this each month.

Hope this helps!

I've been doing that apart from the right-click. However I've now accepted the update which seems to have stopped the daily offering. Once a month won't be too bad!

Thanks to all who responded.

Back