Windows 7 messenger like the way it used to be

elseano

hey im not sure if this is the right section
im just wanting to know if there is a way to make it so when someone starts a new conversation with you it pops up on ur screen like the way it used to in vista. at the moment i have a little messenger icon on the taskbar and everything thats happening is going on there. i like the fact that before messenger would get my attention straight away and open up

not to sure if im explaining myself well at alll here but i just want messenger to pop out at me again like it used to
cheers

im just wanting to know if there is a way to make it so when someone starts a new conversation with you it pops up on ur screen like the way it used to in vista. at the moment i have a little messenger icon on the taskbar and everything thats happening is going on there. i like the fact that before messenger would get my attention straight away and open up

not to sure if im explaining myself well at alll here but i just want messenger to pop out at me again like it used to
cheers

I read this post earlier and decided to leave it hoping someone else might answer and help you because I did not quite understand likeyou yourself suspected :). Seeing it unanswered for a while I came back and decided to take a stab at it.

i like the fact that before messenger would get my attention straight away and open up

I have to make a lot of assumptions in posting this answer for the above problem

1. You have Windows 7 Beta of some Build of unknown Bit
  2. You have Windows Live Messenger installed and you are able to log on to it with your log in name and password and your reference to Messenger in the above post is about WLM
  3. You want some visual notification on the notification area or desktop if your contacts invite you for a chat.
This is therefore a WLM configuration issue:
  • Open the main window of Windows Live Messenger by clicking its icon from the Notification area or Takbar [You may or may not sign in ]
  • If you have the Menubar displayed you will see File Contacts Actions Tools and Help toward the top of the WLM poup; if Menubar is not seen, locate a ? [question mark] to the right of yourPicture logo and a tiny down- arrowhead to its right. Click the down-arrrowhead and from the drop down click the check box of Show the menubar.
  • Click on Tools > Options
  • In Options, look in the Left Pane and click on Alerts.
  • Read the options on the Right Pane and click the check boxes to leave check marks on your choices: Most would select first 3 boxes
Hope this is what you are looking for.
If not, please rephrase your question with additional details giving it the proper context :)

cheers

I read this post earlier and decided to leave it hoping someone else might answer and help you because I did not quite understand likeyou yourself suspected :). Seeing it unanswered for a while I came back and decided to take a stab at it.

i like the fact that before messenger would get my attention straight away and open up

I have to make a lot of assumptions in posting this answer for the above problem

1. You have Windows 7 Beta of some Build of unknown Bit
  2. You have Windows Live Messenger installed and you are able to log on to it with your log in name and password and your reference to Messenger in the above post is about WLM
  3. You want some visual notification on the notification area or desktop if your contacts invite you for a chat.
This is therefore a WLM configuration issue:
  • Open the main window of Windows Live Messenger by clicking its icon from the Notification area or Takbar [You may or may not sign in ]
  • If you have the Menubar displayed you will see File Contacts Actions Tools and Help toward the top of the WLM poup; if Menubar is not seen, locate a ? [question mark] to the right of your Picture logo and a tiny down- arrowhead to its right. Click the down-arrrowhead and from the drop down click the check box of Show the menubar.
  • Click on Tools > Options
  • In Options, look in the Left Pane and click on Alerts.
  • Read the options on the Right Pane and click the check bixes to leave check marks on your choices: Most would select first 3 boxes
Hope this is what you are looking for.
If not, please rephrase your question with additional details giving it the proper context :)

Last edited:
thanks for replying and not leaving me in the wind
yes im tryng out windows 7 (build 7077 on 32bit) i am running WLM with no probs (able to login and chat etc) and i am getting the alerts when i get a new message, thats finei think my problem is the alert it self.
back in vista when i got a new message it would pop out onto my screen just like in ie when you select open in new window, then a brand new ie would open up and have its place on the taskbar.thats what i want for wlm, now when i get a new msg its not popping out at me its staying contained in the little wlm icon. it just doesnt feel as urgent as it used to when someone needed to talk to me it would take over my screen (which i can see peopl,e hating and wanting it changed but obviously not me)
can i change this back the way vista used to? or is this meant to be helpful as it keeps everything clean and organised?

hopefully you understand what i am on about, please feel free to reply
if you need more info please tell me
thanks again

Back