Windows 7 Microphone is too quiet - tried many solutions.

Talbot

This seems to be a universal problem with Windows 7.

I have 32 bit installed on both my laptop and desktop and on both the microphone level is too low despite enabling Boost Gain, tinkering endlessly with the sliders and options (such as CD Quality, enhancements, etc) and nothing seems to improve the level.

On my laptop the sound uses High Definition Audio and my Desktop has a Creative XFi Extreme Music card. As previously mentioned, both have the same issue - the mic is way too quiet unless its right up against my mouth and I'm shouting. I've tried several different microphones.

As far as I can tell this problem existed in some of the earlier builds of Windows 7 going back to the beta.

Any more solutions? I've reached the last straw now and am really frustrated having wasted hours of my life trying to resolve the issue.

Could you be more specific about the type of microphone and where it is connected? What utility are you using it with?

I've used a headset, desktop and array microphone all in a regular mic jack on both my laptop and desktop. Same results for each.

After look into your question I have found that this answer has helped many people with your same problem! You may need to turn you Mic Boost on.

Right click the Volume Control.
Click on Recording Devices.
Click on your microphone.
Click Properties.
Click Custom.
Check mic boost.
Click ok.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

After look into your question I have found that this answer has helped many people with your same problem! You may need to turn you Mic Boost on.

Right click the Volume Control.
Click on Recording Devices.
Click on your microphone.
Click Properties.
Click Custom.
Check mic boost.
Click ok.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

That is the first thing I did.

It does help but not nearly enough and it also has side effects such as this high pitched screeching noise if the speakers are too loud.

Back
Top Bottom