Windows 7 Microsoft and Activation

Joe S

Excellent Member
I saw earlier this week that Mininova had to remove some copyrighted material. A check there and at some other torrent sites show that most of Windows 7 is gone except for a few foreign language editions. Is Microsoft getting ready to tighten up on activations? Are the smug people with cracked versions going to get a surprise soon? I think MS knows where many exploits are possible and in the remaining weeks until public release will slowly raise the bar for activation while looking for things they may have missed. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
Joe

Can't argue thats for sure. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop on this for a while now since I can't see MS letting this go on without a reason.

After several months of pondering I've come up with this: Microsoft looks at this low security period as just another beta test but this one is to gather information about how people are cracking the activation on these "leaked builds". After all they can put whatever software (spyware) they want in code that was only "supposed" to be run internally without consequenses.

Though you make a very valid point I think it's more of a coincidence that the site in question was forced to remove copyrighted material at this point in time.. ;) Microsoft definitely knows about all the leaks that have trickled down the pipelines throughout Windows 7's life cycle so far.. Hell, they are most likely responsible for leaking most of them if for nothing else but a Marketing strategy.. ;)

Definitely an interesting question though, I'm eager to see the replies it gets.. :)

Congratulations texture. I pass the cup over to you.

Can't argue thats for sure. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop on this for a while now since I can't see MS letting this go on without a reason.

After several months of pondering I've come up with this: Microsoft looks at this low security period as just another beta test but this one is to gather information about how people are cracking the activation on these "leaked builds". After all they can put whatever software (spyware) they want in code that was only "supposed" to be run internally without consequenses.

Could be any one or a combination of things behind this. It may have to do with Pirate Bay's recent problems and the legal issues and costs involved. Others may just be positioning themselves to avoid Pirate Bay kind of problems. I have always felt, and have previously stated so in this forum, that I don't believe there has been ANY unintentional "leaks" from Microsoft. There has been method to their madness. I have very little confidence in Microsoft's product development department, but they probably have the best marketing organization of any corporation in the world. They knew, and know, what they are doing from a marketing standpoint. They may feel now is time to reel the line in. There are other likely scenarios, but this should get some discussion moving.

I saw earlier this week that Mininova had to remove some copyrighted material. A check there and at some other torrent sites show that most of Windows 7 is gone except for a few foreign language editions. Is Microsoft getting ready to tighten up on activations? Are the smug people with cracked versions going to get a surprise soon? I think MS knows where many exploits are possible and in the remaining weeks until public release will slowly raise the bar for activation while looking for things they may have missed. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
Joe

Mininova Ordered to Remove Copyrighted Material

Maybe Microsoft's attorneys have nothing to do with it, at least directly.

Well MS is in bed with the entertainment bunch trying to come up with a DRM that works and isn't easy to bypass. I just found it strange that all MS stuff and not all copyrighted material disappeared. I suspect that some of these people with cracked editions installed and automatic updates turned off but who download updates else where may be in for a shock when MS decides to have an update that triggers some Activation Not Genuine thing deeply hidden away in the code and there maybe more than one waiting for strategic times for MS. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Joe.

Back
Top Bottom