Migrating Operating System to SSD causes crackling in audio?!?

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
I just bought myself a new Dell Inspiron 15 7559. I added a 250 GB SSD then migrated the OS to the SSD and set up the original mechanical drive as storage. This is a great setup. It's fast like crazy.

But then a few days later I noticed a short crackling sound that happens about every 5 seconds or so whenever any sound comes from the speakers or the headphones. I tried changing drivers, registry hacks, disabling services and used different programs to no avail.

Then I called Dell and they remotely made a half hearted attempt to fix it then gave up and told me they couldn't do anything since I added the SSD. They thought it was directly related. Maybe so. I don't know. But I didn't notice the crackling for a few days after I did the SSD.

My computer has Realtek Sound, Nvidia Graphics and a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD. I don't know what other info is needed. I was just wondering if anybody had any other ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you double checked any internal cables to front audio, which may have become dislodged when fitting the M.2 drive.

Have you double checked any internal cables to front audio, which may have become dislodged when fitting the M.2 drive.
Actually the installation was just to take the back off, slide the drive into it's slot then screw it down with a single screw. It was a 5 minute job. The back has 1 screw then the whole back comes off. I guess the O/S migration could have corrupted something. I'd rather not reinstall Windows but if that's what it takes... Oh well. I thought I'd ask here just in case some smart guy might know something that might help.

A clean install when moving from a HDD to SSD is indeed the best option.:)

Sometimes the migration software used can cause file corruption, even if all is OK. The clean install sets the system properly for a SSD, something that no cloning software can do. Even if it 'trims' the data, there's registry keys & other settings that needs to be modified, so you've guaranteed yourself a good install with a clean one.:D

Good Luck!

Cat

A clean install when moving from a HDD to SSD is indeed the best option.:)

Sometimes the migration software used can cause file corruption, even if all is OK. The clean install sets the system properly for a SSD, something that no cloning software can do. Even if it 'trims' the data, there's registry keys & other settings that needs to be modified, so you've guaranteed yourself a good install with a clean one.:D

Good Luck!

Cat
If I hadn't migrated the system first the clean Windows install would have probably just put it on the original mechanical drive. When I followed the link in Settings/Update and security/Recovery I didn't see an option for where to set it up. I had doubts about the migration corrupting something but I knew I could make it all work out right.

I love this setup. I've never seen a computer this fast. It takes about 25 seconds for a cold boot-up including my desktop widgets and having to enter the password. I'm sure you super geeks with your badass systems can make better claims but mine is just a fairly cool economy gaming laptop. The research that told me I'd be able to add the SSD was what sealed the deal for me.

25 seconds is great boot time, for most any Windows user. Note that the systems referred to above also takes time to boot & load to desktop, in fact if a NVMe SSD is used, the boot time itself will be a couple seconds slower, going through another layer. Kind of like, although not as bad as, one of those old school SATA cards used on IDE systems.

Hopefully with a SSD you now have what's known as FastBoot disabled, it does a SSD user no good, and allows for a full shutdown so that the computer gets some rest, and in your case, prolong the life of the battery.:)

http://www.windows10update.com/2015...als-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup/

You can & should also disable hibernation, since Sleep is essentially the same, yet saving you drive space.:)

Simply open Command Prompt as Administrator, copy/paste the below in the box & press Enter. Source link below the code.

powercfg/h off

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-60-how-to-enable-or-disable-hibernate/

SSD users doesn't need these activated, your system will still boot in the same amount of time. Maybe faster.:D

Am not sure about the modern Samsung Magician, the older versions had the setup for Power plans. I always chose Best Capacity plan, didn't use High Performance because it includes hibernation, what the majority of SSD users tries to avoid. Found out just today while looking for a serial number on the bottom of a notebook, wasn't thinking & accidently closed it, yet when I pressed the blinking Power button, everything was as I had left it, browser tabs & all.:)

Best yet, my pagefile is 200MB min & 800MB max.:D

Cat

Back