Minor problems with W7 RC...

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by djwayne, May 7, 2009.

1. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Excellent,

ggad you got!!

2. djwayne

djwayne New Member

Yes I got it, it only took about 5 minutes to download it, and another minute to install it, so now I'm up to date, Thanks !!

On the restart though, I had to force a shut off, as it hung up on the "shutting down" screen again.

:)

Update... I found the problem with NOD-32, the wrong username and password were marked on my installation cd. I double checked the registration letter and found a completely different name and password that worked, so now NOD-32 is happy for awhile.

:D

3. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

COOL:cool:

Yea djwayne, by the way I noticed you are the now user of the month. Congrats, but I sure wish they'd remove mine:rolleyes:

4. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Echoe the congrats part :D

5. Radenight

Radenight New Member

That was actually for the month of April.. We're still deciding on the Month of May's.. ;)

6. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Ah ok sorry :) My computer was high jacked by my 9 year old grandaughter so playing catchup this way ;)

7. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Radenight,

Thanks for the clarification:)

8. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Hey you guys rock ty :D

9. MSFT_GlenF

MSFT_GlenF New Member

djwayne,
    I am sorry to hear you are having a few issues with the Windows 7 R.C. I would highly recommend that you back up your data, and try a fresh install of the R.C. A.V.G. 8.5 is compatible with Windows 7, further I would also encourage you to make that you run the updates for 7.
    Thanks

Glen@microsoft-springboard

10. djwayne

djwayne New Member

Like I said, I'm only having a couple of minor problems that seem to be getting resolved over time, but you have to remember, I'm on this computer about 12 hours a day with heavy usage, so a few minor problems here and there is peanuts to me. The rest of the time Windows 7 is working great.

11. young88a

young88a New Member

Hi, i dont usually post, but i read a lot this forum.

About problems with RC, i dont have the issues mentioned in this post. I installed Avast AV and it works perfectelly.

No problems with shutdown or IE, but im having problems with Windows Explorer crashing. Sometimes it crashes when i want to download a file and im browsing to the folder where i want to save it. Or one problem i could test few times, i copyed a folder with some files froma USB flash disk. Then i wanted to copy the same folder to a external HD, and explorer would always crash. Im using RC x64.

I tested before Win 7 7000 (x64) and 7048 (x64) and never had any of this problems....

What could this be?

Thanks for reading

12. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Dj.
    I have used Avast right through the Windows 7 testing, without a hiccup. Perhaps it was one of those u

Your shutdown must , I think, have been hanging on the same glitch.nexplainable glitches!
    fwiw.
    I am sure most members know this very old trick, but you can force a quicker shutdown of Windows 7 (and even Vista) with a small reg edit:
    1. Open Regedit and locate the following folder: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    2. Change the value of this key: WaitToKillServiceTimeout by clicking on it twice.
    3. By default WaitToKillServiceTimeout is set at 200000 milliseconds which are 20 seconds. If you change this value Windows 7 will commence shut down faster. Don’t lower the value to anything too extreme, otherwise your computer could face data loss and data corruption. I have always set mine to 3000, without problems so far.

13. djwayne

djwayne New Member

Thanks Davehc but it didn't work. My default was set at 12000, and I changed it to the 3,000 you recommended, but nothing changed, it still hangs up on the "shutting down.." page. Oh well....

14. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Sorry to be a pest. I hate unsloved problems. I would go (almost) 100% for a graphics card problem. Have a prowl aroun the manufacturers site.

15. djwayne

djwayne New Member

I've already upgraded to the latest drivers as a couple of days ago, that helped to cure one problem, but that's it. Don't worry about it, I can live with it. Windows 7 is running so good for me that if this is the only problem I have, I will be happy.

16. Ubuntero

Ubuntero New Member

Avast is working for me but I am thinking sound would not until a driver for D audio will work, none yet, any help?:frown:

17. djwayne

djwayne New Member

Are you sure you have the sound default enabled correctly ?? That was a hidden problem I had at first but now fixed.

Goto Contol Panel>Sounds>Playback, then select your soundcard and set default button, then hit Apply then Okay.

18. Ubuntero

Ubuntero New Member

I went to Control Panel/Sounds/Playback and got the answer - "No sound devices are installed" this means that Windows 7 do not recognize the sound card. I hope that there is a fix for this issue.

Thanks, Ubuntero.

Solved the problem. use the vista driver, let it upgrade itself and you are OK.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51317-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1843734&os=2093&lang=en