Windows 7 Minor problems with W7 RC...

djwayne

Here's a list of problems I'm having with the new W7 RC 64 bit & IE 8 ........

1. CNN website won't show videos, works fine with Firefox.

2. CBS website video's won't enlarge to full screen, works fine with Firefox.

3. AVG wouldn't set up for me. Set up package wouldn't open up.

4. Avast A-V messed up my internet connection with Yahoo. Can't get on the internet untill I remove Avast and restore W7.

5. Nod 32 seems to be working but doesn't recognize my name and password and won't upgrade.

6. W7 doesn't shut down properly. It goes to the shut down page and stays there until I do a hard shut down.

Other than the above problems, W7 RC has been working great for me, and seems to be rock solid.

:)

How many AV programs do you need running? :p

I haven't run into any of those browser issues, but I don't really use IE8 much. I also don't use AV software. I have had the shutdown issue but I thought it was possibly related to a HD going bad that I have. I'm really annoyed about that too, it's a 3 month old Seagate 640GB drive. Anyway, I haven't installed RC on my laptop yet so I haven't tested the RC on anything else but my desktop.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else is having the shutdown issue as well.

I only want one AV program that works with W7 with no problems. I tried AVG, woudn't install, so then I tried Avast and couldn't get on the internet until it was uninstalled. So that's two that don't work on my system, so I tried NOD 32 and it seems to be partially working, but won't update, So yes I'm still looking for a A-V program that works and is free or very cheap. Hopefully Microsoft's A-V program will come out soon.

I don't think that M$ AV is going to be out for a little while. It's odd that AVG and Avast! aren't working, as they were advertised as the first ones to work with the beta. Not sure what changed in the RC that broke them. But like I said, I haven't run AV for several years, I hate them as there isn't really one that's not some kind of resource hog. Some are better than others, but they all bother me at some level. Fortunately I am pretty good at staying away from viruses so I don't really need it. I haven't had a virus in over 5 years.

Yes, you really need to get rid of those antirus programs.

Rarely anyone uninstalls correctly, (files, folders, left over registry entries, etc.

I'd suggest you dowload RevoUninstall which runs the programs uninstall first, then looks for leftover enties that the programs uninstyller didn't remove. You'd be surprized at how much junk it left over. And since this AV programs normally instll a service , this might not have been removed either.

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

To find left over system drivers, open Device Manager and click the View, Show Hidden Devices and click the Non Plugnplay section to see if you see an entry related to those AV Programs and you have the option to uninstall.

Well, like I said AVG wouldn't install at all. The download installation package wouldn't open. I already un-installed Avast and did a system restore, so everything seems to be working okay. Nod 32's problem with password and user ID, I don't know about yet. Other than those problems mentioned above W7 is working great and I don't want to mess with it any more than necessary.

Yep I did do the system restore, but even that won't automatically shut down, it hangs up on the "shutting down" page and has to be forced off.

Don't get me wrong, I've done hundreds of tests on W7 and it's working great on almost all of them.

Then maybe the System restore did not set your point back?

Try a search in the registry for AVG and Avast and see if you locate any entries.

You could also do a search by company name, I really can't recall myself who makes AVG or Avast

On restart it said that the computer was successfully restored, so I feel I'm good to go. So far Avast hast caused any more problems, and AVG's download package never even opened, so it was never installed.

So you're know left with the problem of Windows restore not shutting down corectly, Correct?

And you're also still left with the computer not shutting down correctly

i also checked CNN videos and it worked fine in IE8. Are you using the InPrivate mode by any chance?

Yes, yes, and no, I'm not using InPrivate browsing.

Hmmm, now this is odd, I tried going to the CNN and CBS site using the InPrivate browser and both worked perfectly and opened up to a full screen.

:confused:

That's VERY odd that AVG wouldn't work for you.. I'm using it on both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions and haven't had any issues at all except for the updating.. but that's just AVG's servers as it's working fine now.. ;)

You're right, tat sure is strange.

Have you fiddled ariound in Internet options and made any changes under the Security Section?

I only want one AV program that works with W7 with no problems. I tried AVG, woudn't install, so then I tried Avast and couldn't get on the internet until it was uninstalled. So that's two that don't work on my system, so I tried NOD 32 and it seems to be partially working, but won't update, So yes I'm still looking for a A-V program that works and is free or very cheap. Hopefully Microsoft's A-V program will come out soon.

Kaspersky are offering a free windows 7 anti-virus for the life of the Beta . Just google and get your free anti-virus :)

"Have you fiddled ariound in Internet options and made any changes under the Security Section?"

Me? No I haven't changed a thing yet.. haven't had time to really.. ;) I just installed Win 7 RC and all my regular apps and that's about it so far really.. Everything I've installed (including AVG) is up and running flawlessly.. :) I'll be tweaking the hell out of some things later on tonight so we'll see if everything stays as good as it is right now.. ;)

You're right, tat sure is strange.

Have you fiddled ariound in Internet options and made any changes under the Security Section?

No I didn't make any changes...the beta version of W7 was doing the same thing, but I never checked the InPrivate borwser on the beta......

Maybe it's a glitch with my video card or driver.

Thanks for the tip on Kaspersky !! If Nod 32 quits working I'll try that.

No I didn't make any changes...the beta version of W7 was doing the same thing, but I never checked the InPrivate borwser on the beta......

Maybe it's a glitch with my video card or driver.

Thanks for the tip on Kaspersky !! If Nod 32 quits working I'll try that.

Hey ty no probs did post something about it awhile back but not much takeup :)
Just to let you know its full internet security system for free as long as windows 7 is not RM :)

Firewall will if you allow if take over the windows 7 firewall so its a complete internet security system from Kaspersky free wihle Beta :)

http://www.kaspersky.com/windows7

Thanks for the link, they just released a new driver today, and I installed it, but CNN video is not loading up with regular browsing but works fine with InPrivate browsing....A surprise, the CBS website now DOES play video's in full screen with the regular IE8 browser. So apparently the updated driver helped.

Back
Top Bottom