Windows 7 Missing 19.6 GB?

brennan

I installed Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trough Windows XP, but I installed on my non primary HDD to back up files. Once the files were copied to the new HDD I re-formatted my HDD. I have an issue with My Computer recording the space usage.
It says I have used 553.GB of my 111GB Drive
ffbr0m.jpg

2mhwphk.jpg

But when I select all my folders (hidden and not) the total is 35.6GB I also got this number totaling each folder separate.
30rpehj.jpg

So my question is where is the 19.6GB my computer is not accounting for?

If I can't find a solution I might reinstall formatting both HDD's.

Thanks for your help.

Notice the top of your second image says Program Files (x86)

The line in your second image that says all in c:\ is deceptive.

You are just looking at the total of that specific folder.... program files (x86)

Start at the top ... click Compter and look on the left for c:

right click on C: and select properties.... Voilla ! Same Same

Notice the top of your second image says Program Files (x86)

The line in your second image that says all in c:\ is deceptive.

You are just looking at the total of that specific folder.... program files (x86)

Start at the top ... click Compter and look on the left for c:

right click on C: and select properties.... Voilla ! Same Same
Notice the comma and the ... after the Program Files (x86) and how all the folders are selected. This is what it would look like if I only had Program Files (x86) selected.
nmj2p0.jpg

Last edited:
Here are properties from all my folders in C:/
13.2+16.7+.133+.938+.306+4.28=34.4GB

34.4GB is no where near 55.2GB
25t7q1e.jpg

2z59hea.jpg

9gv8u1.jpg

2qwfuiv.jpg

I never get a title saying \program files (x86) when I'm checking the properties of my drive.. note the big red circle
On my computer the free space is reported the same in both locations

Ok.. ok... ok.... I think I finally see what you have found.

The lesser report is not including something that is there. There is a small difference when I did what you did... but not nearly like yours.

Hi, I also have this problem. However it's on a bigger scale. All the folders on my C: drive add up to 48.5GB but on my computer it says I have "192gb free of 288gb"
Any Ideas?
Cheers

Hi, I also have this problem. However it's on a bigger scale. All the folders on my C: drive add up to 48.5GB but on my computer it says I have "192gb free of 288gb"
Any Ideas?
Cheers

Suppose we do find the reason... what are we going to do? Delete some hidden files? It doesn't look like any of us are about to run out of disk space soon.

I'm curious and would like to know... but I doubt I will take any action in the end.

Could it be a gigabyte vs gigabit difference, here?

Gigabit = 1000mb
Gigabyte = 1024mb

They're both accurate, but they're both two different ways of measuring space. I found this out on my Ubuntu machine, because I saw my disk analyzer was showing my drives with space using GiB while when I checked system properties of the drive it showed up as GB, so I didn't understand why I was getting different numbers.

I found out GiB is Gigabit, while GB = Gigabyte. Turns out the numbers were different because they were both measuring the used space in a different format.

It adds up:

1000 - 1024
2000 - 2048
4000 - 4096

Perhaps that's it?

He had a differnce of almost 20 gb... that lot.

One posibility (for some difference) is that when you look at c: from the computer it is INCLUDING the hidden partition that Win 7 builds for revcovery... but that's only 100 mb by default. Maybe he upgraded or did something to make it larter. When you just add the file sizes it would ignore that partition.

He had a differnce of almost 20 gb... that lot.

One posibility (for some difference) is that when you look at c: from the computer it is INCLUDING the hidden partition that Win 7 builds for revcovery... but that's only 100 mb by default. Maybe he upgraded or did something to make it larter. When you just add the file sizes it would ignore that partition.
Is that not shown by "tools>folder options>view>show hidden files and folders"? I was including all the hidden folders that I was able to see.

I think I will just do a fresh install and see how that goes.

Is that not shown by "tools>folder options>view>show hidden files and folders"? I was including all the hidden folders that I was able to see.

I think I will just do a fresh install and see how that goes.

I know.. I already flipped that on and off to measure the effect.

Now that I know you did an upgrade... I wonder where your windows.old file is .. and if it's included... it would probably be at least 20 gb.

A clean install is wise.

I know.. I already flipped that on and off to measure the effect.

Now that I know you did an upgrade... I wonder where your windows.old file is .. and if it's included... it would probably be at least 20 gb.

A clean install is wise.
I already deleted my windows.old folder.

I installed Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trough Windows XP, but I installed on my non primary HDD to back up files. Once the files were copied to the new HDD I re-formatted my HDD. I have an issue with My Computer recording the space usage.
It says I have used 553.GB of my 111GB Drive
ffbr0m.jpg

2mhwphk.jpg

But when I select all my folders (hidden and not) the total is 35.6GB I also got this number totaling each folder separate.
30rpehj.jpg

So my question is where is the 19.6GB my computer is not accounting for?

If I can't find a solution I might reinstall formatting both HDD's.

Thanks for your help.

Could this be the answer. I found it on WIKI.

Since the early 2000s most of consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate size in gibibytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824, but report the result with the symbol GB. This practice can be a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may be reported by the operating system as only 372 GB.

I cannot duplicate this... mine matches & the math works.
Drew
Mine is close enough.... he has definitely got something mysterious goin on to have 20 gb difference. I suppose he went off to do a clean install. That will probably cure it.

I think before vista you coud use an Alt + keypad number from command prompt to rename a folder that windows could see but couldn't open or include in the math when it added up the total file sizes. They finally fixed that.

missing gb

just an idea buy click computer/system properties,then system protection and create a restore point the ok,now disk clean up,then "clean up my system files",then the "more options tab and delete all old restore points

Back
Top Bottom