Windows 7 Missing sizes in Windows Explorer Status Bar

dkperez

I figured losing all the information from the Windows Explorer status bar wouldn't be a real big hassle but I've just realized it is...... I create directories to hold digital images, and those directories need to be the right size to write to a DVD. In XP all I needed to do was click on the directory and I could see how many files were there and the size of the directory contents.

HOW do I do this in Windows 7 'cause not having this information is a MAJOR pain in the neck?

Hello, tap, tap, tap. Anybody out there? Did everybody abandon this forum for the holidays or what?

If I pause the pointer over a file of photos, a little window pops up and says the size of the folder. If I check the properties it tells me how many photos are there but that usually doesn't interest me.

When I open a folder and selected photos, the status bar tells me how many photos I've selected and next to that it says, "More Info." If I click on that it gives the the total size of the photos collected.

Hmmm... How do you have Windows Explorer set up? 'Cause when I hover over a folder full of image files it doesn't do anything...... I get the number of files, but no total size of the contents. Or, I'm reading your post wrong, which is always possible...

If I open the folder I don't get any information unless I SELECT a bunch of files. Then I get the number of files and the option to "Show more details"... Except that instead of just clicking the folder and seeing the size of the contents I have to go INTO the folder, select the files, then click on the "Show more details"... It CAN'T be set up so its this much more difficult to do something as trivial as seeing the size of the contents of a folder...

No, if I click on "photos" and then hover over the file entitled JPEG, I get a window that says the date created and then the total size of the file, which today was 1.7Gb.

The second part is the same for me. But, if I select some photos and then right-click and click on properties, I find out how many photos I've highlighted and the total size.

Phooey!

OK, this is (at least for me) a significant annoyance! Time for a 3rd party Windows Explorer to go with the 3rd party
Start Menu and 3rd party whatever else provides the functionality lost in Windows 7.......

Here's a thought. If you show the Details Pane then click on a group of photos in a folder it will give you a bunch of details about the selected photos. I don't think the Details Pane was shown by default.

Click: Organize
Mouse over: Layout
Select: Details Pane

Then grab the top of the Details Pane and stretch it up. If you select a group of photos it shows thumbnails and a number of different details about them. The problem is it doesn't work on folders, just files. The other thing is if you select more than 15 files it makes you click on: Show more details... to get these details.

It would be better if the "Click for more details" tab was not there. I cannot imagine why Microsoft thought it to be a good idea to have to do that after selecting 15 files. I just do not see any logic to it. If you can auto show details for 15 files why not for all of them?

It would be better if the "Click for more details" tab was not there. I cannot imagine why Microsoft thought it to be a good idea to have to do that after selecting 15 files. I just do not see any logic to it. If you can auto show details for 15 files why not for all of them?
The only reason I can think of is because the more files you select the longer it takes to show the details. That's just a feeble guess on my part.

Well, whatever the reason, the loss of that small bit of information is a bother........ I did find a little thing called xplorer2 that appears to work really well, and provides the information lost in Windows 7...

Well, whatever the reason, the loss of that small bit of information is a bother........ I did find a little thing called xplorer2 that appears to work really well, and provides the information lost in Windows 7...
Could you keep us updated on how this thing works out please. There are quite a lot of people that don't like Explorer in this forum.

SO FAR, xplorer2 is working great. More configurable than Windows Explorer, more functionality than Windows Explorer, and it's a lot easier to work with..... AND, unlike Windows Explorer, Agent Ransack actually works in the context menu with this tool... Mayhap someone at MS might want to look at some of these tools 'cause they dropped the ball on Windows Explorer in W7.....

Back
Top Bottom