Windows 7 modify inf files driver

Tecnico

Hello,

I happen to have a driver that only installs on XP. I want to be able to install it on Windows 7 x86, but it's not possible, since it doesn't recognize it.

Do you know which part of the .inf I have to modify in order to install it?

PD: I have done a compatibility installation and disabled driver signature, but it doesn't work.

Thank you.

Attachments

• SmartIDCCID.inf.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 220
There's nothing specific in there to allow it to install on Windows 7. There may be another INF or INI file with those restrictions. In any event it may not even run in Windows 7. The differences between XP and 7 are significant especially around security and drivers

There's nothing specific in there to allow it to install on Windows 7. There may be another INF or INI file with those restrictions. In any event it may not even run in Windows 7. The differences between XP and 7 are significant especially around security and drivers

The only thing included with this driver are .sys and .dlls (attached)

Thanks.

Attachments

• dll and sys.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 216
Ok nevermind, you need to create sections in the INF for either .ntamd64 or .ntx86 (64 bit or 32 bit respectively)

Would you be adding these lines?
Captura de pantalla 2020-07-28 a las 23.53.35.png

Again not a driver developer. I think I modified an inf once in 20 years. It's not normally something you want to do since the driver wasn't developed for anything beyond Windows 2000 it's not likely to work on Windows 7

I thought that XP and Window 7 would behave well, even if the driver had to be modified.

You can't modify the driver. The INF files just describe how to install the driver. XP and Windows 7 are completely different operating systems with Windows 7 having a complete re-write of the core components.

Back
Top Bottom