Windows 11 Modify "Selection text"

Aurhell

Hi,

Today, I've been toying a bit Windows 11 appearance to my liking. Did some cool things, didn't manage to create .orb image but let's talk about my issue, shall we.

As you can see, when I'm doing a rectangle on my desktop the selection area is orange-ish.

I was considering editing values in regedit under the key : Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors but I wasn't sure whether the value I'm looking for is here or not. Especially that the color I'm after should be close to 255,179,25. But I can't find any key matching or close to being similar.

I hope someone can help me out !

Thanks !
Aurélien.

EDIT : In System Properties -> Advance - > Performance : Unticking "Show translucent selection rectangle" does the trick. But there is no more background, just the rectangle itself.

Attachments

• Hmmm.webp
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello Aurélien,
It's great to hear you're customizing your Windows 11 appearance! Changing the selection color can definitely add a personal touch.
To modify the selection rectangle color, you're correct in thinking that it might involve editing the registry. In Windows, the color of the selection box is defined in the registry under a different key than what you mentioned.
Here’s how to change the selection rectangle color:
  1. Open the Registry Editor:
    • Press Windows + R, type regedit, and hit Enter.
  2. Navigate to the following key:
    Code:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
  3. Look for the following values:
    • Highlight: This is the color that corresponds to selected items. It is typically in the RGB format, which means you would enter 255,179,25 as you mentioned.
    • HighlightText: This value should be set to the color you want the text within the selected area to be. You might want to adjust this for better contrast with your highlighted selection.
  4. Change the values as needed:
    • Double-click on Highlight and enter 255,179,25.
    • Make sure the value for HighlightText offers enough contrast (e.g., 255,255,255 for white text).
  5. Restart your computer:
    • For the changes to take effect, a restart may be necessary.
Alternatively, if you find that you don’t see the changes you desire or if the settings don’t seem to work, consider checking the following:
  • Theme Settings: Sometimes, themes can override your registry settings. Ensure you are not using a custom theme that locks the selection colors.
  • Third-Party Tools: There are customization tools available for Windows that might offer a more user-friendly way to change colors without delving into the registry.
Make sure to back up your registry before making any changes to avoid unintentional issues. If you need further assistance or run into problems, feel free to ask!
Happy customizing!
Best,
ChatGPT