Windows 7 Modify Start Button

qdeath

With a non-aero Basic Theme, the start button looks like the classic 'Start' button.
How do you rename the text on the start button? I am using the basic theme and would used to be able to edit explorer.exe and rename the 'Start' letters in the old style start button. I reviewed resource hacker and cannot find where this is now located in windows 7 (explorer.exe contains the orb, but not the windows logo/'Start'). Do you know what file this information was moved to?

This is an old haxk on mine >Certainlt would noy work with Windows 7:

START BUTTON, CHANGE
1. Make a copy of Explorer.exe called Explorer.new and open Explorer.new with a hex editor.
To change Bubble help text:
2a. Search for hex 43006C00690063006B (i.e. "C l i c k" separated by null 00 characters). There's a few.
2b. Replace bubble help caption with whatever, nulling out as necessary.
2c. Go to step 4
To change "Start" button text
3a. Search for hex 530074006100720074 ("Start" separated by null characters).
3b. Replace Start button caption with up to 5 characters, nulling out as necessary.
3c. Go to step 4.
4. Boot to DOS, replace original Explorer.exe with the new Explorer.new.
5. Reboot.

I take no resposability if you try it.

This doesn't work under Windows 7, I do not see those offsets in the explorer.exe file. Do you have an alternative suggestion/file?

You're probably not going to see that set of hex code on any file in Windows 7, it's totality re-written.

With a non-aero Basic Theme, the start button looks like the classic 'Start' button.
How do you rename the text on the start button? I am using the basic theme and would used to be able to edit explorer.exe and rename the 'Start' letters in the old style start button. I reviewed resource hacker and cannot find where this is now located in windows 7 (explorer.exe contains the orb, but not the windows logo/'Start'). Do you know what file this information was moved to?

it must be somewhere... the graphic and/or text.

I am not sure about win-rar, but if you have 7-zip, go to this link
C:\Windows\explorer.exe\.rsrc\BITMAP\
in 7-zip file manager to change the start button without software.

NOTE: You will have to make the same image multiple times, because there are more then one image you have to edit in that dir. Don't ask me why.....

You can get 7-zip here ---> 7-zip file manager

Last edited:
Back