Windows 8 Monitor won't turn on

Roger Guitard

My system (Windows 8) was shut down during a power outage, and now when I try to restart, I hear the CPU go through what sounds like the normal process, but there is nothing on my monitor. I've tried the CPU with another monitor, same issue. I can access the shared folders from another computer on the network, so it looks like everything starts up OK. Before I run down to the local repair shop, is there anything I can try? Thanks in advance.

Could you describe your system, such as is this a Desktop? How is the video currently connected, and are there other connections available? Discrete Graphic card or onboard video being used?

When you boot, you should have some type of video, which is not associated with an OS. If you are not seeing anything, it would appear to be some type of component failure. Changing outputs, such as using DVI or even VGA may allow you to see the basic video signal.

Could you describe your system, such as is this a Desktop? How is the video currently connected, and are there other connections available? Discrete Graphic card or onboard video being used?

When you boot, you should have some type of video, which is not associated with an OS. If you are not seeing anything, it would appear to be some type of component failure. Changing outputs, such as using DVI or even VGA may allow you to see the basic video signal.

It's a desktop, and I've tried other monitors both with DVI and VGA outputs, both discrete and onboard graphics, same results. It's like no power is getting to the monitors, the lights stay on Standby mode.

Since you have changed monitors, I assume you have selected different inputs on the monitors to make sure they are not looking for an HDMI signal when they are getting another type.

The Standby light is on the monitors because no video signal is being sensed. No video output would normally mean some type of equipment failure, but more testing may help you find another reason.

I suppose if you have onboard video, you might try removing the Discreet card and see if the video comes back.

I don't suppose you had allowed Remote Desktop on that system?

Since you have changed monitors, I assume you have selected different inputs on the monitors to make sure they are not looking for an HDMI signal when they are getting another type.

The Standby light is on the monitors because no video signal is being sensed. No video output would normally mean some type of equipment failure, but more testing may help you find another reason.

I suppose if you have onboard video, you might try removing the Discreet card and see if the video comes back.

I don't suppose you had allowed Remote Desktop on that system?

No, I hadn't. This started immediately after the aforementioned power outage, so I think it's safe to assume it's some sort of equipment failure.

Before you take it to the Repair shop, turn it off and pull the power cable. Let it sit for a while, maybe overnight and try again... Maybe something got confused during the power interruption.

Before you take it to the Repair shop, turn it off and pull the power cable. Let it sit for a while, maybe overnight and try again... Maybe something got confused during the power interruption.

Tried that, gave it another shot this morning, but still no go. I hate when it's something I can't fix myself, but it looks like this is one of those times. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Hi

If the computer was plugged in during the power surge and it will boot, then there is a good possibility that the video card is shot.

I've had this happen recently myself, in fact twice in the last 3 years.

We got a surge that took out my mother board and video card even though I had everything plugged into 2 surge protectors.

I'm guessing that as soon as they plug in a different video card it will work.

When you get it fixed let us know what the problem was.

I've also had surges come in through the cable network connection and do damage.

So now whenever we have a thunder storm in the area I unplug everything including the cable connection.

I have all of the surge protectors run through a master connection so I only have to pull one plug to undo the electrical connections.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom