Windows 10 Move c:\users to d:\users

rtan

I found a thread on this subject from sometimes back but there was no good solution so I want to ask this again. I upgraded my computer with a much faster but much smaller SSD drive. There is way to move c:\Users\user_name to another drives but that's not a good way todo because you have to do it one users at a time. You would have to repeat the moving process every time you add a new user. You probably don't remember how to do it 3 months later when you need to add a new user. Is there a way to do it once and for all moving c:\Users to d:\Users? The new user folder would automatically go to d:\Users\i_m_new...

Hi

Sorry I misread your post and thought you were asking how to shrink the size of the stuff on your C:\ drive.

That's something that I've worked very hard to do on my new SSD, but I didn't do it by moving the Users folder.

The easy way is to install all your software on drive D, and leave the Users folder alone.
You won't have problems with multiple users, and my C:\ drive is only 40 gigabytes Users folder and all included.

I have over 400 gigabytes of installed software and all of it is on my D:\ drive.
Even with my game saves my Users folder is only about 18 gigabytes.

All of my Data, Music, Photos etc, are installed on another drive partition.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi
The easy way is to install all your software on drive D, and leave the Users folder alone.
Mike

But that is "kinda" defeat the purpose of having faster C:\ drive though? You want Windows and your Software load up faster, that's why you have faster C:\ drives.

Hi

With over 400 gigs of software that's just not practical for me.
A lot of software loads into ram, (I have 32 Gigs) so once the program loads drive speed isn't that important.

The big advantage of not having it on your C:\ drive is that it makes security and backup and restore really easy.

It's nice that my computer will boot to the desktop in 15 seconds, and all processes that go through
Windows get the advantage of the fast processing speeds.

I'm planning on getting a big SSD when I get my next computer in addition to the one I put Windows on and installing all my games on that I assume that it will make my games load levels faster, but as for performance in the game I don't know, I run everything at max anyway.

But to tell the truth I don't really know how much effect disk speed has on program performance with games or something like my Adobe software, once you get past the loading part of the process.

I guess my point is that unless your users folder is a lot bigger then mine (that's possible if you have a lot of different users I guess) for me it's not worth the effort to try and move it, when just one game can be much bigger.

I do have a Users folder on my D:\ drive, it only has a few things in it and I don't really know how it got there.

Anyway I'm sorry that I don't really know how to move the Users folder to another drive, but you could look at this and see if there's anything there that you don't already know...

Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 | MyWindowsHub

And this one that says not to do it. LOL

Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive | ZDNet

Mike

Last edited:
Hi
Anyway I'm sorry that I don't really know how to move the Users folder to another drive, but you could look at this and see if there's anything there that you don't already know...

Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 | MyWindowsHub

And this one that says not to do it. LOL

Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive | ZDNet
Mike

Thanks so much for the links two the two articles. That makes me hate the "drive letter thing" even more in Windows. Things are much more simple in the Unix/Linux world. But, that's a whole entire different conversation. Thanks again!

In windows 8 and above it's generally a bad idea to move the default user files off the c drive because windows expects them to be there and will even replace them in some scenarios

You can synchronize C:\users folder to D:\users folder, so that when the files change, delete, increase in C:\users, it will change, delete, increase in D:\users automatically. Thus, you do not need to move the files again after you changed it. Fortunately, you can use AOMEI Backupper to synch two folders.

Back
Top Bottom