Windows 7 MS KB977074 Update Problem

Super Sarge

I can not get this KB977074 to install it fails using windows update I have tried at least 5 times
I even went to the MS KB site and tried installing from that location When I install from
Download details: Update for Windows 7 (KB977074)
I get a pop-up saying not applicable to this computer
MY OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, so I do not understand while this is happening

Sarge are you sure you've not got the update already?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

No I checked, it was not installed previously
I have cleaned my caches and tried again no luck
Since it will not install I have have hidden it in MS Updates as it is only a rcommended update not a critical

Well if your not getting an error message I would hazard it's either not needed or you somehow already have it but in another form.

[solved]OK Thanks, I tried it again using the MSupdate, my machine re-starts but the install fails.
So based on what you have said I do not consider it a big deal
Thanks

"as it is only a rcommended update not a critical " It is a little more than recommended, so it could be important. Here is what the update says:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And Microsoft:

This update improves the stability and the reliability of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2 in various scenarios. This update resolves the following issues:
  • Keyboard function keys or keyboard shortcuts, such as mute or calculator, may not work correctly.
  • The notification icon for an application may be moved or lost when the executable application is updated.
  • On a computer that is running Windows 7, you configure the Screen Saver Settings to display the logon screen on resume. Additionally, you configure the computer to go to sleep. However, the computer may not go to sleep after the screen saver starts. Instead, a black screen is displayed. This problem causes the operating system to stop responding.

Last edited:
I just did this update, it caused my system to get a BSOD. I did a system restore and it shows the update as failed.

You can check if it did get installed by right clciking the Explorer.exe (In the Windows Folder) and select the details tab.
If the KB 977074 update installed correctly, the version of your "explorer.exe" (Windows folder) would be 6.1.7600.16450; if you installed only the previous reliability update (KB 974431), it would be 6.1.7600.16404.

Last edited:
It did not get installed and I have hidden it in MS updates.
On the MS technet form I am not the only one having this problem

configuration problem

hi, i am having problem installing following updates, when rebooted to complete installation when reaches 97 % or 100%, suddenly a msg appears that configuration failes, reverting to the previous position. can any1 kindly help me to get it sorted.i rebooted system many times and it takes app 15,20 mins to go back to the previous position.

Update for Windows 7 (KB974431)

Download size: 15.8 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This is a reliability update. This update resolves some reliability issues in Windows 7. By applying this update, you can achieve better reliability in various scenarios. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update is available to improve the stability and reliability of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB977074)

Download size: 1.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This is a reliability update. This update resolves some reliability issues in Windows 7. By applying this update, you can achieve better reliability in various scenarios. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Thanks. I have done that all ready umpteen times but tried the 64 bit version again, It get to 67 Percent on re-boot and then fails as usual.
I have this also posted on MS Tech net seeking a solution. I am not the only one having this problem by the posts on tech net

I just spent a few hours trying to print from my 32bit Windows7. All printing attempts, even from notepad, were resulting in a hang situation. I tried letting the troubleshooter detect a problem but the troubleshooter also would hang while checking the print spooler. I tried to do a windows update and that caused a hang as well. Looking at my update history I saw that kb977074 was the last upgrade I applied; so I uninstalled it; and now I am able to print again. I am going to continue to ignore that update.

By what I can see here and at MS technet this update is causing various problems.
I will no longer try to install it, as that is an exercise in futility and frustration

Back