Windows 10 MS Outlook Cloud Backup

a w

A friend of mine sent me the following :
When I logged a couple of mornings ago I found that my Sent Items folder was empty! I keep years of sent emails in there, confident that my Microsoft subscription includes back-up to the Cloud.

But, if something gets deleted from Outlook, the next back-up just saves the newer set of files over the top within 24 hours.
I would imagine that MS has at least a months worth of backups , if not more .
Can someone enlighten me on this ?
Thanks .

Well first off we're not affiliated with Microsoft so you'd need to contact them, but from my experience with any SaaS provider (this includes email) they do not keep any backups of your data for restore. Data ownership and governance is completely in the hands of the user this includes backups.

Thanks for that helpful answer Neemobeer .
I think you're confusing 2 different things . A user's personal backup , which is of course his responsibility , and the server/cloud/whatever backup , which is the provider's responsibility , and I find it very hard to believe they don't have these for at least a month back , if not more .
If gmail , etc. has a technical problem , surely they have their backups .
Should the problem be the user's , so he is responsible .
Should it be the provider ( here MS ) ( and my understanding is that this is in fact the case here ) , then they are responsible .

I've never seen a provider perform restores unless it's a service you're paying for. I've worked in corporate IT for almost 20 years.

They may have internal backups, redundancies or both, but it's almost never part of the terms of service and hell will likely freeze over before you could get them to restore data. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I've never seen it happen.

Back
Top Bottom