Windows 7 MS Win 7 Student Offer Advice Please

revoraman

I have just received my Students Offer of the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disk package after months of chasing my college lecturer who purchased it on my behalf.I have not opened its sealed package.I had asked my lecturer to order me a 64-bit version but the package states WinPro 7 32-bit.I have read in this Forum,replies given that Microsoft include BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit version in the same package.Can somebody who has used this Microsoft Windows7 Student Offer please confirm that they have indeed received both versions in the same package?

I'm loathe to open my package until I have it for certain that I indeed do have the 2 disks,i.e.32-bit and 64-bit in my Microsoft Windows7 Student Offer,because the 32-bit version is next to useless for my newly-built hardware specs,which is why I wanted to make most use of a 64-bit OS.

Thanks in advance.

A student version, 32 bit, from a University bookstore had just the 32 bit DVD with a key. At the same time a 64 bit version was bought with its own key. What might be important is that each was on its own DVD.

I have not tried to install a 64 bit version using the key for the 32 bit version.

If you get the upgrade from Microsoft it will give you both the 64 and 32 bit versions. What difference the student versions have, I cannot confirm.

But, if you want the 64 bit version, I would not install or activate the 32 bit version.

Be advised, the advantage of the 64 bit is use of more system memory. The downside is drivers for older equipment may not be available.

A student version, 32 bit, from a University bookstore had just the 32 bit DVD with a key. At the same time a 64 bit version was bought with its own key. What might be important is that each was on its own DVD.

I have not tried to install a 64 bit version using the key for the 32 bit version.

If you get the upgrade from Microsoft it will give you both the 64 and 32 bit versions. What difference the student versions have, I cannot confirm.

But, if you want the 64 bit version, I would not install or activate the 32 bit version.

Be advised, the advantage of the 64 bit is use of more system memory. The downside is drivers for older equipment may not be available.
Thank you for your quick response to my issue.

I already have the Windows 7 64-bit RC version which is due to expire soon,and also already have sourced all the drivers I require for my newly-built hardware.I cannot discern if there are two disks in the package which is sealed,which is why I do not want to open it and want to return it to the digital store unopened rather than have them accuse me of having opened the sealed package.

I do know that it is a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade,but whether it applies to the Student Offer which expired on the 10th January 2010 is what concerns me.

As I already have 8Gb of top-branded RAM in the new rig,that is why I want the 64-bit version,rather than the 32-bit version.

Back
Top Bottom