Windows 8 MS word save new document

bteigrob

Was wondering if someone could help me with this one. Got a windows 8.1 with office 2016 on it. I cannot save a new document i create or open an existing document and save as. I can open an existing document and save the changes but not save as something else or export. Things i have tried already: uninstalled and reinstalled office, opening in safe mode, deleting the word data registry subkey. I also did a sfc scan from cmd window and nothing. Been doing a bit of google search to see if anyone else had a similar issue and what solved but to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's not very clear what you are asking.
  • Are you saying you can only do "Save As" and select a new name?
  • Opening an existing document and you can or cannot click Save?
Also where are you trying to save the documents to? Somewhere in your user profile, some uncommon location on your drive or a network drive?

So a new document I cannot save. an existing one, I can save but not save as. Default save to my documents and I try saving as to desktop or documents.

No error messages. it just will not save. When you close a new document, it asks if you want to save, and when you accept it does not close the document and it hasn't saved

Can you try creating a text file, open and try to save it with notepad and see if it does the same?

I cannot create a new text document with notepad. Error says "not enough memory available to complete this operation. Quit one or more app to increase available memory, and then try again."

I can create a new document with word pad and save that just fine

Sounds like you have a bigger issue.
  • How full is your disk drive?
  • From task manager, what percentage of your memory is in use?
This could certainly also be a malware infection and it may be worth running some tools such as Malware Bytes and Spybot.

yes, I initially thought was a program glitch hence the uninstall and reinstall. but looking at it more and seeing that it affects other text programs it must go deeper. 36% memory is in use when it will not save.

It doesn't mean anything bad, it you were maxing out then there could be an issue.

You may want to grab some rootkit scanners, boot into safe mode and run them. Such as GMer and TSSDKiller

Back