Windows 7 Multiple Programs running in my windows task Manager

Maribell

Hey guys Ive been ignoring this issue for the longest time, Ive ran Super Anti Spyware, Megabytes,Windows defender,Spybot,Security Essentials and got rid of alot of junk but still encountering this one issue in my task manager if i open a program then close it and reopen it and once again close it and again open it and once again close it will multiply in the task manager. Happens with Chrome, Explorer,FS9.EXE (Flight simulator) and some other programs. Is this normal?

To answer the question "is this normal", no it isn't. I have seen situations where a program has not shut down all the way and another instance is being started.

I assume if you do a cold boot, the programs are all gone. If you then start explorer and then shut it down, Explorer still shows in Task Manager. You might try selecting it and trying to end the task to see if it goes away.

How do you normally shutdown your programs? Does the Event Viewer show any entries concerning problems with programs not shutting down? Are you seeing any type of message when you shut down one of the offending programs?

As a Cure all, anytime my system does something which is not normal, I will open an Administrative Command prompt the type SFC /scannow to let the system check it files. Perhaps something has gotten corrupted.

Hey guys Ive been ignoring this issue for the longest time, Ive ran Super Anti Spyware, Megabytes,Windows defender,Spybot,Security Essentials and got rid of alot of junk but still encountering this one issue in my task manager if i open a program then close it and reopen it and once again close it and again open it and once again close it will multiply in the task manager. Happens with Chrome, Explorer,FS9.EXE (Flight simulator) and some other programs. Is this normal?

I have to doubt, that may caused by so many security software installed on your computer. Too many security software may cause conflicts and other unpredictable problems. One antivirus software and one anti-spyware are enough to make your computer secure.

Too many security software may cause conflicts and other unpredictable problems. One antivirus software and one anti-spyware are enough to make your computer secure.

This is only true for AV software, having more than one AV active on a system does play havoc on a system. As for malware/spyware software....you have as many as you want and you can have the running actively as well. The only hit a system will take is in the resources be used (perfomance wise - might be a little slower). I only have one actively running malware/spyware program along side my AV.....but I do run 4 others malware/spyware programs when I do my regular monthly system maintenance. This is because not one malware/spyware program will find and clean everything, some will find stuff/junk that others miss.

After following Saltgrass most excellent advice....try re-running your AV and malware/spyware software in windows safe mode. Sometimes it takes the software to be run in safemode to fully clean an infection.

This is only true for AV software, having more than one AV active on a system does play havoc on a system. As for malware/spyware software....you have as many as you want and you can have the running actively as well. The only hit a system will take is in the resources be used (perfomance wise - might be a little slower). I only have one actively running malware/spyware program along side my AV.....but I do run 4 others malware/spyware programs when I do my regular monthly system maintenance. This is because not one malware/spyware program will find and clean everything, some will find stuff/junk that others miss.

Maybe you are right. But these anti-malware/anti-spyware should not be loaded when Windows starts. I still insist that one anti-virus and one anti-malware/anti-spyware are enough for most of normal internet needs. (At least for me.)

Maybe you are right. But these anti-malware/anti-spyware should not be loaded when Windows starts

I agree with you on that point.

Like I said, I have about 5 total malware/spyware software, and I only have one running at start up with my AV. Once a month a run them all, one at a time, and they all seem to catch something the other ones missed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom