Windows 7 My Apologies, another XP/W7 Dual boot issue

BIT IFFY

As i said in the title i apologize for yet another dual boot Xp W7 post, iv searched and solved my problem partially but now another issue has arisen and im unsure on how to continue. Il start from the beginning.

My PC just had XP 64 Prof on a sata HD but i bought a new sata HD to install W7 64 Ultimate. I kinda ran headlong into the installation and disconected the XP HD while i installed W7 on my new HD. I know this is the reason i couldnt dual boot. Anyway i dl EasyBCD, installed it on W7 and ran it, now at start up it sees both OS and will load W7, but when i click to load XP it says theres a corruption issue with XP and an error with the ntldr file and wont load. My boot.ini files are as follows

XP:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

W7:

; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe
; Use EasyBCD from Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies to manage your bootloader

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on F:\" /fastdetect

If that helps.

Other posts have said to copy some files over to W7, but im unsure of it all. I know not to do a repair to XP over W7, but dunno what to do next.

I have no idea if that info is of any use, this is the first dual boot install iv done and im not that conversant on stacks of terminology so if it helps please treat me like im a bit thick when replying:(.

Thanks

Hi

Take a look at this and see if you can find anything here that will help.
It sounds like you computer isn't seeing the Widows XP drive as a bootable drive.

NTLDR is missing

Mike

Which Drive is primary in the bios? If you put the XP drive as primary or disconnect the Win 7 drive, does XP still boot?

Knowing which drive is primary is very important. Where the boot files are for Win 7 and XP is important. Keep in mind, if you disconnect a drive during boot, the other drive will be moved to primary even if you reconnect the other drive.

Edit: Sorry, I misread the original Boot.ini. What you show would seem to be correct. You need to have 3 XP files in the boot sector of the Win 7 drive. EasyBCD should have done this, but maybe something went wrong. Ntldr, boot.ini, and NTdetect are necessary on the Win 7 drive to boot XP on another drive.

The easiest thing to do might be to remove the current boot setup in EasyBCD and have it redo the boot setup. If it still won't work, check the Win 7 boot partition, the one with the boot folder in it, to see if those files are listed.

The special 100mb partition of Win 7 used to give EasyBCD problems, but they were corrected in the later Version 2 releases. The current beta release is 2.1 but the one you have should work. If you want to look into EasyBCD and see if that forum has some answers, check here:
http://neosmart.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Last edited:
Back