Windows 7 My Computer crashes due to optical drives

Hidavi

For the first few days/weeks that W7 is installed the optical drives work fine, but slowly over time the optical drives work less and less frequently until you cant even see them anymore and it crashes the Explorer.exe.

I tried the optical drive fix that I keep reading about with the upperFilter and lowerFilter but my registry doesn't seem to have that.

Any ideas?

It sounds like you are experiencing issues with your optical drives on Windows 7 where they work initially but then stop functioning properly over time, eventually leading to crashes in Explorer.exe.

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

### 1. Check Device Manager
- Go to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Device Manager".
- Look for your optical drives under the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section. Ensure they are listed without any errors or warnings.

### 2. Update or Reinstall Drivers
- Right-click on the optical drive in Device Manager and select "Update driver" or "Uninstall device".
- After uninstalling, restart your computer. Windows should automatically reinstall the drivers.

### 3. Run Hardware Troubleshooter
- Use the built-in Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to identify and fix hardware issues.
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices.

### 4. Check Power and Data Cables
- Ensure the power and data cables connecting your optical drive are securely plugged in.

### 5. Check Registry Settings (if upperFilter and lowerFilter are missing)
- If the upperFilter and lowerFilter values are missing in the registry, you may try the following:
- Create Backup: Before making any changes to the registry, it's crucial to back up your registry.
- Manually Add Upper and Lower Filters:
1. Open Registry Editor by pressing Win + R, type "regedit" and press Enter.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
3. Look for UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the right pane. If they are not present, you can create them.
4. To Add UpperFilter: Right-click on an empty space, select "New" > "Multi-String Value", name it "UpperFilters", and add "PartMgr" to the value.
5. To Add LowerFilter: Repeat the same process for LowerFilters and add "PartMgr" to the value.
6. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.

### 6. Check for Windows Updates
- Make sure your Windows 7 system is up to date with the latest updates and patches.

### 7. Check for Hardware Issues
- If none of the above steps work, there might be a hardware issue with your optical drives. Consider testing them on another system or contacting a professional for further assistance.

By following these steps, you can hopefully identify and resolve the issues with your optical drives on Windows 7.

Back