Windows 7 "My Computer" Icon is missing from desktop

zvit

Honorable Member
Hey guys, I myself have a problem that sounds simple but I can't seem to figure out.

The question is simple. The "My Computer" icon is missing from my desktop. It's also missing from the Administrator account and I can't get it show either on any new account that I create. I use here at home Windows Professional.

All other icons from the Desktop Icon Settings windows work fine. (eg: Control panel, Network etc...)

I know people will try to give the basic solutions so I will just say that I have done all the basic things like check "show on desktop", checking "My Computer" in Desktop icon setting window, view\show desktop icons, refreshing the icon cache, using 3rd party software like Ultimate Windows Tweaker, using Godmode, and yes.... I restarted my computer :)

I bought this computer 2 months ago and it has been like this since I got it. I just dragged a shortcut out to the DT but it bugs me when I can't find a solution to little things like this.

Last edited:
Well since you are probably the guy I would ask for help if I had the same problem, looks like a solution may take a while. Sorry I know you've already done most things that I would suggest.

go to personalize > change desktop icons > tick computer icon..
huh.. maybe It will work

Mark, thanks for the reply. I've tried that.

Trouble, thanks. I don't spend that much time on my own little problems but I will also search with you to find a solution. I highly suspect it having to do with my particular version of Windows at home (professional) that I've heard have some bugs.

Thank you, Mark. You had the suggestion that worked for me. Who needs all that registry mumbo jumbo suggested elsewhere? :)

You could try this:
Administrative Tools - Right Click the "Computer" in the nav pane and drag and drop it as a shortcut to the desktop.

Sorry. Just noticed the op date. I guess the problem was solved!!!! lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom