Windows 7 My Drive E (Hard Disk's second partition) is lost

sasawatc

My Drive E just lost from my computer! I don't know how did it happen. I try to search through google but I can't find a solution. Can any guru in here help me????

Thanks in advance!
Device Manager.jpg This is what I see in the device manager.

Look in control panel, administrative tools, computer management, storage, disk management and see if you can see it there. If it does show but has no drive letter assigned, right click in it an assign one.

Actually this is pretty easy to fix... Your screen shot shows the problem... Your Drive E has somehow been disabled or deleted.
On the menu showing in your screenshot there is a right click for "Format"... So, Format it... Make it drive E and you're back in business.

I do hope you didn't have a lot of stuff on that drive without backups... because it's all been lost.

It could be formatted and contain valid data without having a current drive letter. If it will not accept a new drive letter and there is very important data, it can still be recovered with the right tools.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need further help. We'll see what we can suggest.

It could be formatted and contain valid data without having a current drive letter. If it will not accept a new drive letter and there is very important data, it can still be recovered with the right tools.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need further help. We'll see what we can suggest.

Please take a close look at the screen shot provided... Notice all the other partitions show their size and filesystem "99,6gb NTFS" and say "Healty" with a list of attributes such as "Boot" and "Logical Drive" etc... These are properly formatted drives. Drive letter or not...

The one in question does not have this attribute string because it is an unformatted partition.

Last edited:
but I have many data inside that partition.

I really hate to be the one to say this... but it's probably lost.

The only way I know for a hard disk to wind up in that condition is if the second partition was deleted then a new one was created but never formatted...

So sad, I got many valuable data inside.

Does anyone know that how does this problem exist, so in the future it can be prevent.

I ran into the same problem today while trying to extend my C: with partitionmagic. The program crashed my pc and after rebootind drive D: just disappeared. I went to disk managment to give the drive a letter but it kept saying that the console view had to be refreshed - nothing helped! So I read this thread and thought that I just have to format the "unnamed disk", but when I try it says "an unexpected error has occurred. Check system event log for more info", I check the log and find nothing about the error (maybe I just don't know where to look).

Damn you PartitionMagic and my silly attempt to mess with the drives!

Last edited:
you could try one of the file/partition recovery packages but when a partition management program crashes the consequences for the entire physical drive are invariably serious which is why complete backups should be made before starting. I would delete every partition on the drive and redo from scratch.

Back