Windows 7 My experience with Build Win7 x64 Build 7048 Installation on a new system with VISTA

cmn

The installation on a SATA hard disk [ Seagate SATA 11 500GB HDD :ST3500410 SATA] with Windows VISTA X32 on partition 1 (200GB) after paritioning the free space was very easy ( similar to VISTA and better than XP) and rather fast in my System built on a PCChips P55G Motherboard , Intel Dual Core CPU E2160 1.80 GHz and 4 GB ( 2x2) DDR2 667[PC2 5300] G.Skill heat-spreader RAM, Encore 802.11g Wireless PCI adapter ENLWI-G2 and Hybrid wired -wireless Buffalo AirStation model WHR-G 125 router. I anticipated problem with my Wireless PCI adapter and therefore did not accept the prompt to start my Wireless Network setup for automatic mode offered during the install and waited till the setup was succesfully accomplished at much faster rate than WinXP and probably equal to or better than VISTA x32. Although the setup had automatically installed all the drivers for the integrated devices like video, audio, LAN and IDE and sata controllers on my PCChips P55G motherboard, and even the Encore wireles adapter with its Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.1b/g Wireless Device driver , the Smb had a yellow flag. To my pleasant surprise the system was happy to load the x64 VISTA driver from PChips' Version N-5.00 Motherboard software CD by just dropping it into the optical drive and pointing the device manager to the drtive letter. It took probably less than 20 seconds for "Successful driver installation" and the disappearance of the yellow exclammation point from the Device Manager. The Wireless adapter although showed no problem in the DM ["device is working properly" in its Properties] and my Homenetwork name was seen as "connencted" in the wireless Configuration , [ Open Network and Sharing Center], Internet connection failed was the message and IE would not open any webpages when launched and IPCONFIG >>>>no IP address either. I attempted to update the driver using the ENCORE software CD I had although it had only VISTA x64 driver. To my pleasant surprise that too was easily accepted and installed by Windows 7 and suddenly there was spontaneous activity on the Taskbar ["system Tray] Open Network and Sharing Center icon showing My Network -"Internet access". Very soon the computers in my home network took their proper places along with this new Windows 7 system [ like the My Network Places in XP under Workgroup]. I had previously changed the Workgroup name of the new system to that of the existing one. IE 7 was launched and sudenly the "Send feed back " icon appeared on my desktop. I am very very pleased so far. I could easily connect to my EPSON Stylus Photo R 380 Photo Printer attached to a WinXP x64 PC without any problem . It used the VISTA X64 drv and its icon was promptly on my system tray. I am going to try and "stress" the system with additional hardware and software install to see what works and what does not and be happy to post my experience here for the benefit of others.:)

Microsoft LifeCam VX 3000 WebCam failed to install properly using the Vista x64 driver and also a driver the Windows 7 troubleshooter prompted me to download and install from MS. The Camera seems to install with the message "USB device installed and ready to use" appearing in the system tray ("notification area") but when the LiveCam icon is clicked I get the message "Camera is not connected" . After several repeated uninstall /reinstall routine I called it quits. I had no problem installing a logitech USB headset.

I had no problem installing the following applications:
7Zip 64 bits, Antivir (free) Personal Antivirus, CCleaner, Auslogic Defrag, Paint Dot Net, ImgBurn, Windows Live Messenger ver 2009, Yahoo Messenger 9.0.0.2136, Adobe Reader 9. skype 4.0.

Last edited:
Successful Mixed Windows and Linux Hybrid Homenetworking

I was able to create a Homenetwork using Wireless and Wired setup to share files amongst Win 7 x64 Build 7048, WinXP SP3, Win2kSP4 as well as PCLinux OS 2007 and 2009 (using SAMBA) and the hardware device being Buffalo WHR-125 Wireless router with 4 Ethernet ports in addition to its Wireless Access point. I cannot use wireless access to the Internet in Win2K and Linux because they don't have drivers for the wireless PCI and USB adapters I have. I have not been able to share files between the Linux Desktops and Windows machines yet but I hope to be able to do that with some Linux troubleshoot. So far my experience with Windows 7 Beta -64 Bit Build 7048 has been very positive.

Back