Windows 8 My windows 8.1 upgrade

Scramjet

Hi All,
Just wanted to share with you all of my experience with moving up to Windows 8.1.

I decided it was time to start new so I installed Windows 8 Pro from the USB I had made. All went well after a format of C:\. So I decided to head to Microsoft Store to get the upgrade to 8.1 but had to download some required updates for Windows 8 before it appeared on screen in the Store. The Download went fast but had a few hiccups while installing and had to run repair then I was successful with the installation.
I totally forgot to reinstall Windows Media Center for 8.0 Pro so when I went to download it from the Store my key was not valid. I tried several times and it came back with "the key will not work, do you want to buy it". I decided to call it a night and maybe contact Microsoft this morning to see if I was able to still get it for free.
The weird thing is, when I started my computer this morning a note (which seemed t be in my desktop background pic) was near the bottom right-hand corner of my screen;
"Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Build 9600"
It stayed there until I switched screens and then I noticed it disappeared. So Microsoft site must have my info which detected I was already a owner of Media Center for Windows 8.
I am playing with Windows 8.1 and even though it seems like a service pack so far I am sure I will find some changes that will be good for me. The "Start Button" is ok there. I will use it when needed and so far it comes in handy with the right-click feature of it.
I hope I didn't bore anybody with my experience :) And I hope everybody has fun exploring Windows 8.1.

Cheers

Glad to hear your upgrade went well Mine was flawless as well on my Surface RT, although admittedly I'm not a fan of the changes to the search functionality in 8.1 and while the start button has returned, I knew from day 1 that the start menu would not and as such, I really don't see the point behind it as it introduces absolutely zero new functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using WindowsForum

Arguably it does, in that you can now right click it and shut down your computer.
That is new and that is functional.... hence at least +1 for new functionality.
Additionally I like the fact that you no longer have to hover in the bottom left coaxing up the little widget and hopefully clicking or right clicking before it disappears and you set to start over, so.... that's a bit more functional.
Just from a desktop user's perspective

I had 2 upgrades that worked to perfection. I am pleased. My first download was quick, less than an hour, the second was like molasses, more than 5 hours. This was the difference between yesterday morning and evening.

Arguably it does, in that you can now right click it and shut down your computer.
That is new and that is functional.... hence at least +1 for new functionality.
Additionally I like the fact that you no longer have to hover in the bottom left coaxing up the little widget and hopefully clicking or right clicking before it disappears and you set to start over, so.... that's a bit more functional.
Just from a desktop user's perspective
Yes I have found those two features to be better and much easier to get to start screen now.

I had 2 upgrades that worked to perfection. I am pleased. My first download was quick, less than an hour, the second was like molasses, more than 5 hours. This was the difference between yesterday morning and evening.
I did two as well. One worked perfect, the other fails every time with an error "Something went wrong" 0x80004005. Very frustrating.

Hi, I'm trying to find out some comments about windows 8 vs 8.1. I just bought a laptop with pre-installed windows 8. I haven't tried using yet since I still have another laptop with windows 7. I'm thinking of upgrading immediately my 8 to 8.1. After reading some of your experiences on installing, it seems most of you did it successfully. I wondering if you guys are more satisfied with 8.1 or there's no so much difference between the 2. If in case it's almost the same or i will just encounter some installation problems, then maybe i will just stick first with my current version. I would love to hear your opinions. thanks in advance.

I think Windows is a good product but, it too has some things that need fixing. Such as some drivers appear not to work, or do not work as expected. I have one of those in a Microsoft Sculpt Mouse Bluetooth. Oh and we who got the free upgrades would like the ability to buy it on a disk from Microsoft. It would more usable that way. I like the apps part

Hi, I'm trying to find out some comments about windows 8 vs 8.1. I just bought a laptop with pre-installed windows 8. I haven't tried using yet since I still have another laptop with windows 7. I'm thinking of upgrading immediately my 8 to 8.1. After reading some of your experiences on installing, it seems most of you did it successfully. I wondering if you guys are more satisfied with 8.1 or there's no so much difference between the 2. If in case it's almost the same or i will just encounter some installation problems, then maybe i will just stick first with my current version. I would love to hear your opinions. thanks in advance.
Welcome to Windows 8 which I am sure you will like in a short while. I had a problem with upgrading to Windows 8.1 mainly because I decided to do a complete format and install Windows 8.0 first but RUSHED through installing it and then had glitches with Windows 8.1. I finally decided to do it proper and took my time to let Windows 8.0 install all the updates and was running for a couple hrs before upgrading to Windows 8.1. This time Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft store installed flawlessly. I am still running it and not one glitch. If you are using Windows 8.0 now for a short while and getting used to the new OS then when you upgrade to Windows 8.1 you will like the extra bells and whistles they have added. Like the "Start" icon in left-hand bottom corner which got some nice handy features. You can google tips and tweaks and play with some new features in Windows 8.1. I have not explored many of Windows 8.1 features since the upgrade because I have been too busy working but I like the changes. I am liking it more every day.
Upgrade, you won't be sorry I am guessing :)
cheers

I am really impressed with Windows 8.1. I first had the RTM version. Later went back to Win 8 and upgraded to Win 8.1 without any problems. Just for the heck of it, I went and did a clean install with no problems. IE-11 is giving me some problems but have got used to using Chrome and Firefox for my browsers.

Back