Windows 7 mystery surrounding dump file creation

srinpraveen

Hello buddies.
I have been plagued by a bsod errors on my windows 7 home premium 64 bit (sony vaio laptop AMD core 4GB RAM) for the past 4 months namely by the title "kernel_inpage_error". The error codes are usually like 0X00000F4 or 0X000007A. I have been banging my head for days regarding the mystery regarding why dump files are not created after a crash.

If I had a dump file, I could post it here. But its so frustrating. I have done all the pre-requisites to help in the creation of the minidump. But it just fails to be created. I tried memory dump that too is not being created in the event of a crash.
Here are the stuff that I have already done.
1) Created Minidump folder on C:\Windows manually. This is because at first, I was of the opinion that the minidump folder will be automatically created in the event of a crash. But since it was never created, I manually created a folder named "Minidump" in C:\windows.
2) Paging file size is more than sufficient to facilitate the creation of a *.dmp file. Initially this was system managed and was kept at 3740MB, But since the dump files were not created, I customized it to around 1.5 times more value around 5500MB. Still no creation of a dump file on bsod.
3) Pagefile.sys is on C:\ which is the OS partition
4) I have done memtest for 7 passes. Says no errors.
5) Tested the hard-drive through all the tests provided by seagate tools. No errors.
6) Complete System Scan, rootkit, MBR through avira. No viruses detected. KIS 2012 also throws no virus detections.
7) I did chkdisk commands , scannow commands no errors on system files or hard-disk sectors.
8) I use ccleaner regularly to clean the registries and also use reginout to clean up the system.

The highest tendency for bsods to occur usually is when I video chat in skype. Or when I do several stuff parallely such as view a streaming video, download a file, virus scan all simulataneously then the bsod happens. But there is no way I can generalise like that. This is just my hunch. There have been cases when they have randomly occurred as well. So till I have the dump file, I can absolutely do nothing.

Pls Pls help me. WHAT exactly do I do to create a dump file?

here are some images for you to view.
This one is after running this file http://sysnative.com/0x8/WMIC_Recove...riff2_html.exe.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Here is an image of my temperatures ie.core temp etc.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I have all the windows sdk tools from windbg.org but what's the use when I don't have a dump file?

Last edited:
Hi,

I confess I am not very good on BSOD stuff but have you tried creating a mini dump file and see if that creates?

Basher

Hi Basher!
Yes I tried both the minidump option as well as the memory dump option. Both the options did not create a dump file upon system crash. Since the dump file wasn't getting created, I unchecked "Restart system upon failure" to atleast catch a glimpse of the error code and name of the bsod and its mostly kernel inpage error.

Hi srinpraveen and Welcome to The Forum.

I have absolutely no doubt that you have done this, but here goes:

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.

Stop Errors:

STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Usual causes:
Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack.

STOP 0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Usual causes: ???

Usual cause HDD

As you have a laptop can you gain access physically to the hard disk. Remove it and then replace it making sure the connection is good. I have a feeling this is why your not getting minidumps. Drive can't write\read due to a communication problem.

Hi Elmer, how are you?
And Yes, I have already done the steps that you have mentioned and checked up once again to check if it is exactly the same as what you have mentioned and yes it is indeed same.

And regarding the error code information that you have sent,
Stop Errors:

STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Usual causes:
Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack.

Usual causes: ???

for the 0x0000007A error, I checked the memory and RAM using memtest and no errors. Checked the harddisk using seagate tools test. No errors. Did chkdisk and scannow for filesystem check. No errors. Windows is upto date with the latest service pack. Ie. Windows 7 SP1. There is no virus infection as indicated by KIS 2012 and avira. Regarding paging file corruption, I do not know how to check that. "Bad motherboard and/or improperly seated cards"--> Well, this I admit I have not seen yet. But I think the problem might not really have to do internally because the laptop is just like 9 months old and I have used it pretty carefully. so not prone to rugged usage actually. So I would do those checking as the last resort. I want to solve it without having to dismantle the laptop atleast for the time being. ;)

Usual cause HDD

As you have a laptop can you gain access physically to the hard disk. Remove it and then replace it making sure the connection is good. I have a feeling this is why your not getting minidumps. Drive can't write\read due to a communication problem.

Oh in that case, do I need to dismantle my laptop? Oh no. Okies. Anyways I wil try that as well. Is there anythign else I can do to diagnose it at software level instead of having to dismantle?

Try this, we may be able to spot something:
The minidumps are the basis for the analysis of your BSOD. If you find you have none, help can still be started. Download and run Driver View. With the program open and in focus, press Ctrl+A (Select All), then File > Save Selected Items. Attach the saved text file to your post as above.

@Elmer, Thanks for suggesting something that can be done at software level. Here is a text file containing the list of drivers that I obtained from the software you suggested. Take a look for checking for driver conflicts.

Attachments

• drivers_list.txt
    140.6 KB · Views: 285
Hi,

I've only done a quick scan of your drivers. You Network drivers are old you can get new ones from Realtek
Your AMD Chipset drivers are also old these can be grabbed from Raid. Frag. Dominate your games. | GAME.AMD.COM while at amd grab updated video drivers too while your at it. When at the Realtek site you could grab the updated hd audio drivers too, noticed they were a bit old after originally posting.

Rich

Last edited:
Further to nmsuk's excellent advice you should be aware that Avira can cause blue screen problems for some (note!! only some!) Windows 7 users. If you continue to get BSOD's it may be worth considering uninstalling Avira and downloading BSOD friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled!

Obviously, if this isn't the cause then feel free to switch back. Without dmp files we are, at best, second guessing.

@Elmer,
oh Okay I have been having avira since I bought the laptop, but anyway I will try uninstalling avira and putting the microsoft's software. :p And yes I know that these dump files are really crucial. Having tough luck with it.

srinpraveen
I just spotted this after a re-read:
There is no virus infection as indicated by KIS 2012 and avira.
You're not running two AV programs are you? They will clash.

Last edited:
@Elmer,
I was having avira for most part of the year. In between, I used KIS 2012 for one month. That's it. After that, I installed avira back. I haven't used two antivirus at the same time at any point.

Well I did use the removal tool for kaspersky. So it was a clean uninstall. By the way, I have a quick question elmar. Is there an easier way to update drivers than checking that text file and manually checking the company site for the latest version? Because since I am far from being a techie, it is kind of difficult to determine whether the current drivers I have is old or new and thereafter go in search of driver updates. All I used to do is to depend upon windows updates for getting latest driver softwares and I think windows is not doing a good job in determining if the current version is latest. Do you recommend some driver updater utility which I can utilise to aid the process of updating drivers?

At the moment, I only updated a couple of things that @nmsuk mentioned such as
1) My HD audio drivers from realtek
2) AMD SATA drivers
3) Video drivers from raid site
4)I am having trouble to determine which network driver to download from realtek for amd laptop

Also in general, I am having trouble determining if my version of driver is up to date or not. If it is not up to date, I am finding trouble checking what I need to download from the company websites such as realtek as there are just too many downloads there. A bit confusing. I confess I am far from a techie.

Back