Windows 7 Need Advice on Clean Install w/ Reversion Option

daprez546

I plan to use and test the Windows Release Candidate 64-bit Edition on my current system. I assembled my current system myself from Gateway DX4200-09 basic components into an Antec Solo case.

Motherboard: Foxconn RS780 Stock
CPU: AMD Phenom 9100e Quad-Core @ 1.8GHz Stock
RAM: 8GB DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM Upgraded from 4GB Stock RAM
ODD: LG GH22LS30 (SATA) X 2 Replaced stock Optiarc (SATA) X 1
Sound: Realtek on-board HD audio Stock
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, 512MB PCI-ex16 Replaced Stock ATI Radeon HD 3200
Monitor: Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD/TFT Added from my previous system
Networking: On-board Gigabyte LAN port Stock
HDD1: 640GB (SATA, 7200RPM) Stock, contains current OS and software packages
HDD2: 500GB (SATA, 7200RPM) Added, formatted only, contains no software or data
BIOS: American Megatrends 7B3P091g Stock (8/6/2008)
PSU: Antec 550W Basiq Replaced Stock PSU

I intend to disconnect HDD1 completely, change the BIOS to boot from ODD, do a clean installation of the candidate OS to HDD2, and go from there. I prefer this to a dual-boot situation, as I have an XP system and Vista-64 HTPC I just built that I can use should I need access to something I can't get through the new OS. My question(s) to the larger community on this site is/are:

Does this seem to be a workable, prudent approach, and/or am I missing anything obvious? I realize our community has some VERY INSIGHTFUL people, and an extra set of eyes (as well as gray matter) would be greatly appreciated. I essentially want to be able to plug HDD1 back in and forget about the RC version should I choose to do such at some later point.

looks like a solid rig you've constructed...nice job. My approach is keeping it simple at first so I don't have multiple issues. afterall, this is really still a beta. Personally, I would install using the integrated graphics card first to avoid potential issues, and put the 9600 card in later. Thats exactly what I did with my desktop. I also had issues with some of the RAM modules so I had to remove and then replace once OS was installed. Not sure about your ODD, I have a sony and it works fine. I tryed using a NEC and it did not support win 7 at all. Switching between the 2 hd's may give you some grief, but from your grasp seems good...you'll get it right. Good luck

Wow, thanks for the quick response...and the good advice. I will revert back to stock components as much as possible, and scale back on the installed RAM. Four GB, or maybe even less, should be enough for just about anything at first.

Installation Completion Update

For those who might be interested, I concluded the clean install without incident. In fact, I got a little ahead of myself (read => anxious to get going) and was well into the installation before I realized I had not heeded the advice to keep it simple. Well, long story short, it didn't matter in the end. The installation went quickly, smoothly, and without a hiccup. Displays were crisp and clean using generic, embedded drivers.

Now the real fun begins -- exercising the beast, but I shall remain cheerful and optimistic.

Thanks again, kevin from Chi-town.

Back